Sign in to follow this  
mario5

AE CS 5.5

Seems like hell just froze over (again): AE CS5 backwards compatibility. Thanks for listening Adobe!

The rest of the features don't look very tempting at first glance - at least for those of us who already own Frischluft (lens blur) or Shake (smooth cam) it might not justify the upgrade price.

I am I the only one who feels like this is a half baked effort on Adobe's part. AE is the only product that I saw any real upgrades too. The web guys are getting more jquery tools, but that should have been in the last release of Dreamweaver. I think they are going to have some unhappy customers. At least for us there are some improvements to AE.

What do you think about the subscription?

I am I the only one who feels like this is a half baked effort on Adobe's part. AE is the only product that I saw any real upgrades too. The web guys are getting more jquery tools, but that should have been in the last release of Dreamweaver. I think they are going to have some unhappy customers. At least for us there are some improvements to AE.

What do you think about the subscription?

Todd's list of all changes:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/

Backward compatibility is a big one. The subscription seems good for freelancers on the occasional job or companies that quickly need to ramp up licenses (i.e. suddenly need more rendering power). Glad they have that option now, though I wish they had some sort of "lease to own" program in that you could transfer the subscription payments to a full purchase if you use it a lot.

Question about the 'improved color look-up table (LUT)'. I see it listed in the new feature but does anyone know how it's different from the one currently in CS5? Also is the tracking algorithm (or whatever they use) a totally new one or just the old tracker repackaged in an Effect now? Often times when AE's tracker fails, Nuke's one does it without a hitch.

Edited by superegophobia

Todd's list of all changes:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/

Backward compatibility is a big one. The subscription seems good for freelancers on the occasional job or companies that quickly need to ramp up licenses (i.e. suddenly need more rendering power). Glad they have that option now, though I wish they had some sort of "lease to own" program in that you could transfer the subscription payments to a full purchase if you use it a lot.

Question about the 'improved color look-up table (LUT)'. I see it listed in the new feature but does anyone know how it's different from the one currently in CS5? Also is the tracking algorithm (or whatever they use) a totally new one or just the old tracker repackaged in an Effect now? Often times when AE's tracker fails, Nuke's one does it without a hitch.

...and when Nuke's tracker fails, Mocha does it without a hitch.

I am I the only one who feels like this is a half baked effort on Adobe's part. (...) AE is the only product that I saw any real upgrades too. I think they are going to have some unhappy customers.

I don't really agree. You have to look at he big picture. There's two big topics here: Digital publishing and workflow enhancements for video professionals. It may not be pretty, but think of the millions desparate users just trying to publish their shit on iPads and what have you and will use ID for it.... As for the video tools - you get Audition now instead of Soundbooth, which is huge with many all-in one production workflows, even more so since multichannel is becoming more widespread...

Mylenium

I am stoked about the subscription pricing for on the fly scalability.

Light falloff sounds good too, and am looking forward to playing around with it.

The backward compatibility is only as far back as CS5 which is a little bit of a bummer after reading the headline, but its still appreciated and think will help people transition over to 5.5 quicker. I just hate having to keep 2 suites installed on my itty-bitty SSD.

I am most intrigued by the new additions to the interface. Ram and Disk cache indicators on a per-layer basis? sweeeeeeet. I also saw a lot of hype about "improved interface configurations for multiple monitors" everywhere except Todd's page, which makes me wonder if its not within AE. :-(

The rest of the features don't look very tempting at first glance - at least for those of us who already own Frischluft (lens blur) or Shake (smooth cam) it might not justify the upgrade price.

Having decent in-camera DOF is way, way more useful to me than Frischluft. Using Frischluft, my AE DOF is always faked, since you don't have a proper depth map. And, if I want to use Frischluft's depth of field, I can now use the light falloff to make a depth map. This upgrade is a depth-of-field dream come true.

I can now use the light falloff to make a depth map

I'm interested in what you have in mind for this..... Falloff in and of itself doesn't necessarily include volumetric lighting

Edited by AromaKat

Having decent in-camera DOF is way, way more useful to me than Frischluft. Using Frischluft, my AE DOF is always faked, since you don't have a proper depth map. And, if I want to use Frischluft's depth of field, I can now use the light falloff to make a depth map. This upgrade is a depth-of-field dream come true.

Alright, sounds interesting. It also seems like the 3D camera now uses the same blur as the lens blur effect (if i interpreted the marketing blah blah right) - this would be cool.

I'm interested in what you have in mind for this.....

Duplicate the comp, use Fill to make every layer white, then create a point light with a falloff so the layers further back are darker. BAM, instant depth map for your comp.

Alright, sounds interesting. It also seems like the 3D camera now uses the same blur as the lens blur effect (if i interpreted the marketing blah blah right) - this would be cool.

Nope, the lens blur effect is gone and the new effect is a replacement - and that's a good thing, by the way!

Edited by ChrisC

Nope, the lens blur effect is gone and the new effect is a replacement - and that's a good thing, by the way!

Sorry - i've been talking about the AE 3D Camera wich used a box blur for depht of field until now. If i got the feature list right, it should now be using the same blur as the new Camera Lens Blur effect.

Edited by levante

Grrrr.... just upgraded to CS5 literally last week...

Then inquire with your reseller and make sure your are eligible for a free CS 5.5 upgrade. If not, make use of the 14 day return policy and give the package back, pre-ordering a CS 5.5 instead.

Mylenium

> Oh and let's hope the new camera blur is actually multithreaded.

Yep.

See this page.

BTW, I saw that someone pointed to my blog for the details of what's new and changed, but it wasn't the direct link. So, here are the links to the posts about what's new and changed, each of which links to additional posts for nitty-gritty details:

I'm still working on posts for some of the new features, but they'll all be up by the time the software is available for download, in May.

Edited by Todd Kopriva