Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Final Cut Pro X

it really shows how bad this thing has been rolled out, trying to convince people (in a deceptive infomercial way) that they need to buy this thing is bad form... it gets really interesting at about @:50 when he starts talking about all of the 'complicated' issues. if only he knew that things like destructive edits are actually a good thing if you know what you are doing.

FCP X, better yet, iMovie Pro is an absolute joke. It would have been better just to get an update with the features we were all looking forward to instead of putting out a worthless program. For the near future I will still use FCP 7, but I may convert over to Premiere. They have made strides the past few years and the integration with AE is good.

I simply cannot understand the marketing behind this.

If I just compare this to a situation where you would buy a car then the car company would tell you:

"Buy this amazing and newly toughed out 5 wheeled Car, but it is not finished yet! You can get the airbag, mp3-player and all other luxury after 6/12 months when we are finished developing them"

Nobody would do this and I don't see the point in buying FCPX when it is actually ready, and even then, I would doubt to buy it.

Somehow this whole marketing idea also reminds me of the credit crisis a bit: lots of talks, lots of promises but delivering eventually noting.

I simply cannot understand the marketing behind this.

If I just compare this to a situation where you would buy a car then the car company would tell you:

"Buy this amazing and newly toughed out 5 wheeled Car, but it is not finished yet! You can get the airbag, mp3-player and all other luxury after 6/12 months when we are finished developing them"

Nobody would do this and I don't see the point in buying FCPX when it is actually ready, and even then, I would doubt to buy it.

Somehow this whole marketing idea also reminds me of the credit crisis a bit: lots of talks, lots of promises but delivering eventually noting.

I think if they were just clear it was a beta program that would clear a lot of hostility. Like RED has their Epic-M program where they are clear as day that if you get one you may or may not get all the parts right away, and it will not have a lot of it's features turned on for a while. But you understand that and buy one anyways knowing you can have a chance to mess with it early on. However if RED was being smug like Apple and acting like the Epic was ready to shoot when it arrives, then people would be livid to find out audio and playback hasn't been enabled and some of the major parts don't arrive for an indeterminate amount of time. Or Apple could be clear as hell like The Foundry did with STORM that they are releasing an open beta that you can try at your own risk or not. But they shouldn't pretend everything is ready to go when it's not even close. Being an Avid dude myself, I'll buy FCPX and mess around with it and watch it grow like a Chia pet. But I'm not livid at all since I took the opportunity to see it for the open beta that it is. I think Apple should just market it that way to save a lot of grief.

I just happened to be using my Sunday morning to peruse the Apple Human Interface Guidelines.

This seemed... ooo, relevant. Part 1 Application Design Fundamentals.

Part 1 Application Design Fundamentals.

Apply the 80 Percent Solution

During the design process, if you discover problems with your product design, you might consider applying the 80 percent solution—that is, designing your software to meet the needs of at least 80 percent of your users. This type of design typically favors simpler, more elegant approaches to problems.

If you try to design for the 20 percent of your target audience who are power users, your design may not be usable by the other 80 percent of users. Even though that smaller group of power users is likely to have good ideas for features, the majority of your user base may not think in the same way. Involving a broad range of users in your design process can help you find the 80 percent solution.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGDesignProcess/XHIGDesignProcess.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002718-TPXREF101

I'll buy FCPX and mess around with it and watch it grow like a Chia pet.

So.. you are willing to pay money for a product that you have already professed a lack of use for? Isn't this just voting with your dollars that it is worth buying now?

Part 1 Application Design Fundamentals.

So they're probably lumping editors into one category now, and then marketing FCPX to the 100 percent.

everything wouldve been fine if they had just kept pros and amateurs separate, and rolled it out as iMovie X. the 20 per-centers (pros) would've bitched (like always =) for not having an FCP update. but at least they wouldn't have dropped the apps rating down to two and a half stars (with almost half of the ratings being one star), not to mention the shit storm this has caused for PR. i feel like im in an alternate dimension... this looks like a ballmer/windows kind of blunder

So.. you are willing to pay money for a product that you have already professed a lack of use for? Isn't this just voting with your dollars that it is worth buying now?

I guess you missed my monumentally long post. But I'll quote the relevant parts for you:

I think people are being babies about this....

...SO, here's FCP-X. I'm actually intrigued for the first time at the prospect of Apple planning to get it right after 10 years of doing it wrong. Considering FCP has only been good at being a cut station, they are trying to up the cutting part of the package. Most importantly with the use of multiple procs, openGL, etc, etc. Making up for all the turd parts of the old FCP. AND they are managing to throw in newer cutting technologies (even though other software has already done it). They've laid the groundwork for composite containers so the new FCP will have a way to expand into something far larger than the old FCP could ever be. Plus they replaced their useless color corrector with a mini-Color so you can actually do some basic CC in the app itself without the need to take it elsewhere for tweaks or the need to install Colorista for all CC. So, yeah, it's just the shell of something new, but it is finally on the right path and all they had to do was shed all the shit parts of it anyways. Who cares. What I'm seeing is the frame work of a skyscraper where there once was a shitty house.

I have also mentioned previously I use FCP to cut up home movies from the 5D instead of firing up the Avid like I do for real work. The new FCPX is actually perfect for this as is, so I spend the 299 quite well since I'm using it for what it's only good use has ever been, and now it's far better at it. Any more reasons to give you that I should support FCPX? It's going from a turd cutter to a better cutter and someday may be able to be used as a complete system. So yeah, I sure as hell am voting with my dollars I hope.

From the self-confessed amateur David Pogue's article: monitor the progress of FCP X and its ecosystem

Brilliant! That gave me a belly laugh. Ecosystem? That's a full house on wank word bingo. Does anyone take this shite seriously?

Guest Sao_Bento

The funny thing is that Apple was probably trying to avoid causing an uproar by announcing that FCP was being EOL'd. Had they not called this product FCP, all these temper tantrums wouldn't be going on, or they would be more correctly focused on hating on Apple for EOLing FCP. The FCP people know is gone. done. finished. and will not be coming back. It was a mistake to suggest that there was a link between this new software and the old FCP. This is about starting over.

It does make sense as a business that they would be dropping support for the pro market. If I were an investor, hearing that they are cutting one of the least profitable portions of their business would be good news (and buying in more at the peak of the uproar). It is all speculative, but the rumors that they are producing 4x more Macbook Airs and lessening the production on MBPs support such assumptions on the direction the company is going.

Having a younger brother getting ready to go to school for graphics and animation raises some concern for me about how much the fans of FCP within academia, due to its low cost, will continue to offer it as part of their curriculum - and what they will choose to replace it.

Apple is starting to provide refunds for Final Cut X, breaking its own no-refunds policy.

I think it would be a funny twist of fate if after all this user backlash, Apple just EOL'd all of it. Then it would be like the mid-90's again. Video Toaster could come back to compete against Premiere for the consumer editing market :P

It does make sense as a business that they would be dropping support for the pro market. If I were an investor, hearing that they are cutting one of the least profitable portions of their business would be good news (and buying in more at the peak of the uproar). It is all speculative, but the rumors that they are producing 4x more Macbook Airs and lessening the production on MBPs support such assumptions on the direction the company is going.

Having a younger brother getting ready to go to school for graphics and animation raises some concern for me about how much the fans of FCP within academia, due to its low cost, will continue to offer it as part of their curriculum - and what they will choose to replace it.

They'll replace it with Avid, as they should do.

It increasingly looks like they should have called it something different, called this release a public beta, and carried on developing FCS whilst the phase over occurred. My guess is that they deemed themselves to have insufficient resources to do the latter, and the marketing and comms guys got it wrong with the former.

The moaners should at least be glad they have some choices. I'm trying to imagine what it would feel like if Adobe announced that they'd EOL'd Photoshop, bought Pixelmator and would develop that instead... Part of me would actually quite like that, it's not like anybody has LOST anything they already had.