Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sao_Bento

Final Cut Pro X

Guest Sao_Bento

Somewhere, in a dark low end office, whoever owns the IP rights to Media100 thinks this is the start of something wonderful. They are wrong.

Somewhere, in a dark low end office, whoever owns the IP rights to Media100 thinks this is the start of something wonderful. They are wrong.

Shadows from the past. I remember back in the the days i used to prefer Premiere over Media 100 - and that means a lot. So in the words of Jhonny Cash: "may it rot and burn in hell"

Interesting article.

But once you’re ready to move up to the next level, find yourself a software provider whose life-blood flows only as long as they keep their professional customers happy.

Do these exist anymore? Is there a single major software corporation who thinks like this at present?

Maxon do, but then they're creaking corporate the behemoths like Apple and Adobe. But you know, it really doesn't matter at the end of the day as these big companies are solely about dividends for shareholders and in the long run that means becoming conservative in nature and charging as much as possible for as little as they can get away with. In innovation terms they can stick some features that make you goo "Oooooo!" when you see them and then never use again to shift an upgrade.

In the end everything comes down to the lowest common denominator, including software development. It's a numbers game driven by bean counters and project managers whose only skill is talk crap and service the egos of those in charge, by mangers climbing the hill believing the view will be worth it and people like us trying to make a living who have no say in the matter. The best way to approach this is to manage our own expectations. As the man said in the article posted by firemind we're not that important to these businesses, they want to shift units and will aim for the median; where ever we are on their location parameter of users ability doesn't matter.

Of course loosing these features are a right ball ache but then we'll all get used to it or move onto something else (which will go the same way eventually). There was a point when we couldn't consider life without Pagemaker, KPT or whatever but here we are, still plugging away years later. Look to the smaller developers for innovation and the big guys for the basic tools. Just remember though; you don't owe them your loyalty and they don't care anyway.

But once you’re ready to move up to the next level, find yourself a software provider whose life-blood flows only as long as they keep their professional customers happy.

Do these exist anymore? Is there a single major software corporation who thinks like this at present?

The Foundry?

PixelFarm?

I wouldn't put Maxon on that list.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Thing is, Maxon here in the UK have been pretty good to me and I've had superb personal service from them, including senior staff who I've spoken to personally a few times. But you're right in that Maxon aren't on the same scale as the Apples and Adobes of this world, as I suspect are SideFX, or The Foundry (110 employees on two sites) which are still small enough to fully engage with their market and customers and whom I meant by the term 'smaller developers'.

I'm talking about our expectations of these corporate juggernaughts who are not that interested in us as artists or the practicalities of our everyday workflows etc in the slightest.

Apple's official response

-------------------------------------

"Answers to your Final Cut Pro X questions." http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

Looks like they have no intention of natively getting all of the things were moaning about back in there. Instead, they keep falling back on the APIs and third parties being able to develop such functionality as plugins.

To sidetrack a bit, has anyone tried Smoke for Mac? It looks real nice but I would be going into it knowing it would mean a bit of an unorthodox workflow.

Maxon do, but then they're creaking corporate the behemoths like Apple and Adobe.

I'm sure Maxon would love to have their own iCinema and sell it in large numbers, but the 3D market, after all, is even more specialized and diversified than any movie editing ever was, so that might not be a viable plan compared to keeping "Pro" users happy...

Mylenium

In the end everything comes down to the lowest common denominator, including software development. It's a numbers game driven by bean counters and project managers whose only skill is talk crap

I don't think Steve Forde (AE) or Al Mooney (Premiere) talk too much crap (yet). They're fresh and unspoiled and from knowing Steve a tiny bit personally, I don't think it's his style, especially after what he has gone through with GridIron. There are others responsible for ass-kissing at Adobe... And not to shatter your illusions - software development by its nature as a process of limited resources is bean counting, even at Maxon I would presume. Things you see in any new release may have taken several years to conceptualize, research, implement and test "behind the scenes". That is even true for mundane plug-ins - nobody can whip up something like Particular or Optical Flares over night without at least a bit of R&D and a feature spec.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

If anyone is thinking of moving to Windows, take a look at EDIUS 6 before you leap into AVID. There's a 30 day trial and you might dig it.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_6

*jumps out of chair

Oh god.

*points a menacing finger

THIS DAMN PROGRAM. SON OF A BITCH. SO MANY NIGHTMARES. A client of ours was working in it and insisted on delivering stuff to us in its bullshit proprietary codec. Did you know they don't make Mac versions of any of their codecs? Weep, child.

*jumps out of chair

Oh god.

*points a menacing finger

THIS DAMN PROGRAM. SON OF A BITCH. SO MANY NIGHTMARES. A client of ours was working in it and insisted on delivering stuff to us in its bullshit proprietary codec. Did you know they don't make Mac versions of any of their codecs? Weep, child.

Hehe, it's not that bad. Yes, they don't make a Mac version of their codec, neither did Apple for ProRes until recently (read only, mind you).

Your client should have exported to PNG QuickTime or something instead.

If FCP X adds the necessary features in future updates and people adopt it is still yet to be determined. However I do like the fact that Apple is putting downward pressure on the price and is forcing other companies to rethink their pricing structure as well. After this promotion runs out, I wouldn't be surprised if Premiere drops it's normal price from $800 to $300-$500.

If FCP X adds the necessary features in future updates and people adopt it is still yet to be determined. However I do like the fact that Apple is putting downward pressure on the price and is forcing other companies to rethink their pricing structure as well. After this promotion runs out, I wouldn't be surprised if Premiere drops it's normal price from $800 to $300-$500.

eh, apple dropped the price to $299. But who knows how much these third party assets are going to cost. Where as you once got final cut studio for a grand, now you could end up spending a grand just for a pro final cut set up excluding all other apps.