Sign in to follow this  
yocfe

AE how he does that

ConstantMotion gave you a good hint. I suggest experimenting with that suggestion, and see what you come up with. After that, come back here and we can further help out with any questions.

I'm sick of seeing people have a go at guys just starting out.

People just want to learn. Yes, you make a good point about experimenting yourself, thats how I learnt as well.

There seems to be so much mocking at people starting out.

Just go easy on people.

Edited by JIMMY

People just want to learn. Yes, you make a good point about experimenting yourself, thats how I learnt as well.

Just go easy on people.

Spoon feeding people doesn't help them in the long run. Motion graphics is HARD WORK, and after that it's MORE HARD WORK.

He was pointed in the right direction and asked to come back when he's ready. I'd call that being generous.

I wasn't having a go at anyone.

I was never told the straight answer, and in the long run it helps your workflow knowing how to access a certain effect rather than having to refer to that website every time you need to create a certain graphic.

@yocfe

Shape layers have hidden parameters if you search for them.

Edited by ConstantMotion

Just happens. Don't make too much of it. There are good days and bad days for all of us and on some days I can be the nicest person on the planet, on others I just hate any question like that.

I'd rather call it giving people a nudge. ;-) Don't misunderstand this, but even being rude can sometimes be in their best interest. I don't feel it serves anyone, least of all the learners themselves, to let things go too easy on them. A kick in the butt may not be nice, but when you look back later, you may find that it was exactly what was needed. With regards to the OP I simply feel he hasn't done exactly the exploration that would be required. I mean, if we start asking questions about repeating circles, when anyone here could probably cite at least 3 solutions without thinking much (at least Shape Layers, Radio Waves and Trapcode 3DStroke sprang immediately to my mind), then perhaps it's time mograph.net became a sub-domain of Video CoPilot? These are exactly the kind of questions I wouldn't expect to find here, but perfectly fit the bill over there...

Mylenium

I've done similar effects using a precomp of a "grid of lines" and then using polar co-ordinates on that precomp.. animate the grid coming in from one of the sides on the precomp and it'll introduce nicely like that..

Sorry for giving more explanation. I hope I haven't ruined anyone's careers by explaining this..

I've done similar effects using a precomp of a "grid of lines" and then using polar co-ordinates on that precomp.. animate the grid coming in from one of the sides on the precomp and it'll introduce nicely like that..

Sorry for giving more explanation. I hope I haven't ruined anyone's careers by explaining this..

logo260.jpg

Oh no! Not the secrets! <_<

:lol:

Edited by RVA8

Hmmm. I've never used shape layers before. Probably because I hate them. Probably because they don't work in 3D. Maybe I should actually give them a chance sometime.

They are more powerful than they seem at first glance. It's like having an animated version of Illustrator right inside After Effects.

They are more powerful than they seem at first glance. It's like having an animated version of Illustrator right inside After Effects.

Never touched them before but appreciating the kick into the deep end. Repeaters and Trim Paths oh my. Layer order seems to be pretty key - it's especially picky with where you drop the animated stroke width to make sure it scales up each line individually. Nice stuff, and this is a great way to pick up some tricks versus being spoon fed.

Still scratching my head on how to add some "delay" to the lines in the middle of the trim paths action.

Never touched them before but appreciating the kick into the deep end. Repeaters and Trim Paths oh my. Layer order seems to be pretty key - it's especially picky with where you drop the animated stroke width to make sure it scales up each line individually. Nice stuff, and this is a great way to pick up some tricks versus being spoon fed.

Still scratching my head on how to add some "delay" to the lines in the middle of the trim paths action.

There may be a better way, but I duplicated the circle path 9 times after animating the first trim path, then just offset them with some extra keyframes and a lot of curves adjustments. Or you can just offset them in time depending on what effect you're going for. It'd be great if the Offset animator could offset time.

I love Shape Layers. If you delve into the parameters, you can create some pretty complex animations and shapes. Like he said, it's like having an animated Illustrator right in AE. Too bad they don't have a UI panel for the Shape Parameters. I bet a lot more people would discover their uses if they weren't hidden so far down.

I just remember when they came out and they were so slow and clunky, and yes, you had to delve deep into the timeline to do anything with them. Also, I often (too often?) rely heavily on camera movements instead of shifting elements around in scenes and so having shape layers break 3D space is much less than desirable.

Are shape layers still slow and clunky? Do they still break 3D space?

It'd be great if the Offset animator could offset time.

Thanks for the tip - I spent a bunch of time trolling around for something like a Delay Effector but couldn't find one either. Definitely an underused tool.