Sign in to follow this  
holliday7

Transfering Jobs

I was wondering what people think of the culture of motion graphics artist are when it comes to jobs and how many people have. To be specific do people just look at creative work and don't really care how long you have been at jobs. Also do you think people should give a company or a ad agency at least a year before moving on even if they have a better offer with pay and creative work, and if the answer is yes how many times do think you should be able to do that. This topic is to get a better understanding about the culture of our work. Thanks for reading and look forward to some opinions.

...do people just look at creative work and don't really care how long you have been at jobs. Also do you think people should give a company or a ad agency at least a year before moving on even if they have a better offer with pay and creative work, and if the answer is yes how many times do think you should be able to do that.

WELL! There's a lot of questions in your post, but without a single question mark! Sorry, but I couldn't help but point that out :)

My answer would be:

1) Yes people focus mostly on your work, the quality of it and the type of clients you've worked with. That's usually what gets you in the door with most creative directors. That being said, people hiring are probably looking at where you've worked before and wondering about what your time there was like. Were you easy to work with? Are you good interacting with clients? Do you smell bad?

2) If you're a salaried employee, you don't owe an agency any time limit unless it's contractually specified somewhere. You won't find yourself moving up in salary by staying in one place. Keep in mind that you may end up signing a non-compete that might make leaving difficult while staying local (learn from my mistake - ALWAYS read your contracts!). So there's no limit to how many times you should move from job to job - its up to you. The trick is to find a place you really like, with a salary you like, in a city you like and stick it out for a while. If you're a freelancer, I suppose you have more flexibility there - you'll bounce from shop to shop.

4) All this being said, looking at your work, it looks like you're just starting out. A few pieces of advice - ditch the Flash website (go HTML), radically alter your resume or ditch it, and see some of the posts on mograph.net about honing design skills before getting too far into the realm of animation.

ONWARD!

I was wondering what people think of the culture of motion graphics artist are when it comes to jobs and how many people have. To be specific do people just look at creative work and don't really care how long you have been at jobs. Also do you think people should give a company or a ad agency at least a year before moving on even if they have a better offer with pay and creative work, and if the answer is yes how many times do think you should be able to do that. This topic is to get a better understanding about the culture of our work. Thanks for reading and look forward to some opinions.

I'm not sure it really matters. I think this industry is more focused on what experience you have, not how you acquired it. The reel is more important than the resume. I also don't think that you have to spend a certain amount of time at a company before moving on. You just don't want to burn your bridges as you move on. So make sure that you don't screw over your old company before moving on.

Thanks Dave! my question mark key does not work on my laptop lol time for a upgrade i think. I appreciate the comments also on my own creative. My reel is super old too and am in the process of updating hard to find the time for ourselves as artist sometimes. Its easy to level out at a company as a salary employee because there are really lame projects to fill in the one or two peices that are reel worthy, i just want to keep pushing myself in 3D packages, animation techniques and design. It seems like i have to keep taking on new company's to get not only get the better projects but the better pay. Maybe that is a result of me improving every year while my companies are keeping to the same clients and not gaining clients and work.

I think work quality will usually always trump quality clients in most people's eyes, although some big name clients on your reel can help. I'd recommend you stay at each place for as long as your learning something new from the people you work with and/or clients. As soon as that stops, get out!

im on firefox and i cant watch your reel or see your design work...

yeah unfortunately the era of flash websites is over, no ones more disappointed than me, but its just the way it is =(

can't help you with your other questions, always been a freelancer.