Sign in to follow this  
secretninja

Please critique my student demo reel

It honestly looks like there's not a lot to critique quite yet. I think the same old critique applies here: try honing your design skills, think less about imitating what you've seen. A lot of your reel seems to be video with text supers. If you're getting ready to graduate, and want to work, I'd try coming up with a few personal projects that show the type of work you want to do.

Technically looks like you have a very solid base. I would try to build out a bit more variety; even in the 35 seconds runtime I started to say I have seen this already in the reel. Just about every clip could be cut down in my opinion. Keep up the good work. What year you in at Ai?

I'm in my last quarter and ready to graduate in about a month. Thanks for the critique Jamie.

Technically looks like you have a very solid base. I would try to build out a bit more variety; even in the 35 seconds runtime I started to say I have seen this already in the reel. Just about every clip could be cut down in my opinion. Keep up the good work. What year you in at Ai?

You have a good edit, but its unfortunately the same lack of content problem that everyone encounters at the stage your in.

Its a catch 22. Can't get work without content / can't get content without work. Sucks, I know.

Like Dave said, just do a lot of personal projects right now. If you need direction to help, do what I did back then - record a lot of radio commercials (car dealerships, etc) and completely make a video to go with them. Every time someone does spec work, ie. fake commercials for big brands, the give-away is always always always pacing. They tend to move sooo slow. Using an audio track thats appropriately paced helps that problem.

Thanks for the feedback AromaKat! I appreciate it. I have a few ideas, for personal projects that I want to produce, so hopefully I'll be able to get them done here soon! Again, thanks for the feedback.

You have a good edit, but its unfortunately the same lack of content problem that everyone encounters at the stage your in.

Its a catch 22. Can't get work without content / can't get content without work. Sucks, I know.

Like Dave said, just do a lot of personal projects right now. If you need direction to help, do what I did back then - record a lot of radio commercials (car dealerships, etc) and completely make a video to go with them. Every time someone does spec work, ie. fake commercials for big brands, the give-away is always always always pacing. They tend to move sooo slow. Using an audio track thats appropriately paced helps that problem.