Sign in to follow this  
destro

3D camera tracking software

I've got a new boss and might be in line for some looooooooooooooooooong overdue software upgrades.

I've got the obvious ones for Mograph work: Abode AE,PS, IL and Maxons C4D R12 Studio.

I want to ask for a 3D camera tracking package too, but I haven't been keeping up with what's happening in that area. I used the demo version of SynthEyes a while back and loved it. Is it still a good package for the price or has someone else got a better deal?

I work for a TV Station so I won't be tracking any super complicated or lengthy shots.

Syntheyes is good, go with that. I dont know how it works with c4d

we use Matchmover, but thats because it came free with maya.... I also like PFtrack a lot, thats what i started with.

We just picked up PFMatchit, which is a node-based tracker built using the PFTrack tracking algorithm. I've been loving using it for the last week or so - the workflow is really nice and it's a hell of a tracker. It's under $900. Pretty sweet.

R

For the most part they are all the same, just really differing in the math that solves for the camera. I use Syntheyes because its cheap and get the job done fast. Have also used Boujou, PFTrack and PFhoePro, all get it done

It really depends how complicated the shots are and how accurate you need them. Quicky broadcast work or stuff that's going to be projected 40ft. across. Sytheyes, PFhoe both get the job done most of the time.

If youe shot's hard and you need really accurate results by going in by hand to adjust the track you'll want Boujou or PFTrack.

I'd also look at CameraTracker in After Effects by the Foundry. It looks promising. I beta tested it and liked it, but I haven't used the final version yet.