Sign in to follow this  
Pat Reilly

report illegal licence software.

I would like to think Im a ethical person but I find my self working for a company who that is running 90% of its software off of illegal licence software. This really became apparent when we did upgrades for everyone in the office and installed Adobe CS4 says we cant do any updates and my boss will not buy CS5? The company makes over a million a year in sales and we only have 7 people on staff, yet the person running the company refuses to actually buy any type of software.

I wanted to reach out to the people that are in the same work as me and see if they have ever been in a situation like this or any ideas on what to do.

Thanks,

Pat

We've actually been discussing this a lot at the office lately with the update to CS5.5. We took the opportunity to do some upgrades and formatting at the same time, which creates a fantastic little serial number hell. It's a pain to stay legal, but you manage. A number of our copies of After Effects are in a 30-day trial right now, since Adobe had some trouble on launch day and sent us bad serials that we have yet to get replacements for, and inevitably some of our CS5 licenses weren't properly deactivated before formatting. We've all seen offices that just give up and crack everything, which means they aren't keeping close track of what they're running, and then they start running things they don't have licenses for. In more than one case, that has meant a company with a copy or two of CS3 finding themselves running CS5 without having ever paid for an upgrade. And, let's be honest: the problem of motion and VFX companies running unlicensed software is rampant.

All that said, what can be done about it?

Yeah, my first impulse is to tip off Adobe. Adobe cares, and they crack down hard. At least one company we knew of actually went under. Yes, this is the company's own fault. But damn, that's cold.

If the company has the money to pay for the software and chooses not to, I'd tip off Adobe. If the company doesn't have the money and uses the software anyway, I'd talk to the company -- and point out that Adobe will, in fact, catch them.

But don't do one and then the other if you value your relationship with the company at all. Saying, "Hey, Adobe's going to catch you" a week before Adobe catches them isn't going to win you any friends.

Edited by Aaron Scott

I would like to think Im a ethical person but I find my self working for a company who that is running 90% of its software off of illegal licence software. This really became apparent when we did upgrades for everyone in the office and installed Adobe CS4 says we cant do any updates and my boss will not buy CS5? The company makes over a million a year in sales and we only have 7 people on staff, yet the person running the company refuses to actually buy any type of software.

I wanted to reach out to the people that are in the same work as me and see if they have ever been in a situation like this or any ideas on what to do.

Thanks,

Pat

I'm a sole proprietor. I work very hard for every dollar I make. I don't make $1 million/year, yet I pay for all my software licenses. Adobe CS suites are not that expensive and certainly pay for themselves. When I hear of companies pulling this shi!t, it rubs me the wrong way. (granted, $1mil/per year for a company of 7 is probably just enough money to stay afloat, factoring in all the associated costs and taxes). Before alerting Adobe, maybe your boss would go for the subscription plan.

My advice is just look after your own shit and don't worry about what anyone else is doing.

The best you can do is to point out to the employer how detrimental it is to work with dodgy software - serial clashes, stuck with old versions when the new one comes out - and how much more productive people can be when they don't have to bother with little snitch and any of that crap. Irrespective of the ethical aspects - working with cracked apps is such a drag, and I make certain to point it out whenever I come across this situation as a freelancer. I wanted to use a plug-in for a job recently but the production company were using dodgy serials so couldn't buy any serial-locked plugins - so they got an inferior product and I let them know why. Stupid of course as the software license would have made a small dent in the overall budget.

But it's endemic of course, more than half the companies I work with aren't legit and a fairly depressing 100% of the freelancers. But there's nothing good going to come out of reporting them - well, maybe you might get a TShirt ;)

I think Chris C has the right idea.

rather than telling your boss about potential lawsuits, you may be better off trying to show how properly licensed software actually makes your work better/easier/faster, which in turn affects his bottom line. show that there is real value in going the right way... not just the potential downfall of using cracked versions.

i know its easier said than done though, so good luck

Well.... Your signature link goes to your site where you can download a resume stating your current employer. I'd advise starting to look for work. :lol:

Edited by AromaKat

:huh: oops! :lol:

Thanks for the feed back. I have a few options to think about but mostly I'm really looking to move on to bigger and better things. The last thing I really would want to do is hurt this company since they are the first company I worked for right out of school.

Thanks for the feed back. I have a few options to think about but mostly I'm really looking to move on to bigger and better things. The last thing I really would want to do is hurt this company since they are the first company I worked for right out of school.

Best of luck to ya

:blink:

Beware of one thing in the future—Google. It caches everything. What you're doing is great and I would probably try to report them as well, but remember that you don't really want to burn any bridges. However, what's right is right and I commend you for thinking about this in the first place. It's a tricky situation. Very tricky.

In the long term you'll need to just close your eyes to the dodgy parts of the industry. It's not just software being ripped off. Fonts, plug-ins and most of all IDEAS get ripped off all the time.

I regularly get shown YouTube clips of other peoples work and asked to "make something like that".

I was once even asked to copy a piece of work that was a copy of my own original work. Mograph artists might care about originality, but many of the people who pay for motion graphics have no qualms at all about re-cycling other peoples work.