Sign in to follow this  
kitkats

Newton - 2D physics engine for After Effects

http://www.motionboutique.com/index.php?RubID=14

http://goo.gl/2L3zN (starts at 1:19:30)

Looks interesting - it wasn't clear to me whether it bakes the animation into keyframes or not. Not dissimilar to the physics in Anime Studio Pro.

But would we just use Cinema 4D for most physics simulations nowadays? I can see how this would be useful for certain demonstration videos, but the thing that makes me question it's long term usefulness is that it appears to be purely 2D. I guess it all depends on the price, and real world ease-of-use.

But would we just use Cinema 4D for most physics simulations nowadays? I can see how this would be useful for certain demonstration videos, but the thing that makes me question it's long term usefulness is that it appears to be purely 2D. I guess it all depends on the price, and real world ease-of-use.

I think it will have its place. Similar to how we still have traditional animation and 2D design. Not everything needs to be 3D.

What I'm not looking forward to, however, are the multiple reels using this for logo/tags.

[update: Here's a link to a demo video. It's in French, but you get the general idea about how it works. Looks like it provides standard keyframes after working in the custom UI.]

Edited by conigs

Oh hell yeah... this looks fun (and simple).... didn't see any dates for its release

The motion boutique people said it will be released in a couple weeks in the comments.

I think this plug-in is very powerful. I also think this system has much more potential than the demo shows. I just hope the price isn't backbreaking.

I think it will have its place. Similar to how we still have traditional animation and 2D design. Not everything needs to be 3D.

Traditional animation and 2D design have nothing per se to do with realism. Physics does, and real(istic) objects are not 2D. So everything this plugin does looks like it is held in a narrow plane between two sheets of frictionless glass. Like I said, it will have it's specific niche, but for many projects it strikes me as needing a lot of faking (eg. use 5 instances of it and spread them out in Z) or, if you go with the flat 2D look, it seems about 10 years too late. I was hoping somebody could see and explain the extra potential I was hoping might be there, cos so far I can't see it myself.

Edited by kitkats

So everything this plugin does looks like it is held in a narrow plane between two sheets of frictionless glass.

I think it's a cool look though, and it's something people are getting used to seeing from iphone games. It gives an interesting mixture of realistic motion and a cartoony feel. Plus it looks like it would be a useful way to generate data that you can than work into a bigger 3D comp. And like anything in AE, having it available quickly and easily will allow people to discover new ways to abuse the effect and get unexpected things out of it that you would probably never stumble upon in a full 3D app.

Ahhh! Can't wait to try this plug-in out.

I think well be looking at quite a trend with this niffty plug-in.

Can't wait for a tutorial showing me how to drop 128 candy striped circles onto a flat plane. And get paid for it.

Hahahaha I second that destro. ;P

Cinema 4D is great for physic simulations but sometimes could get a bit complex throwing around a lot of objects, I'm sure if people can get away with using the After Effects & the plug-in rather then Cinema 4D they will go ahead & use the easier way out. Well also depends on what kind of deadline you're looking at.

Yeah, I guess for 2D arcade-game stuff it could be ideal. The '10 years too late' comment may have been a bit harsh since retro comes around so quickly. I didn't intend to post this to slag it off, just wanted to see what everyone thought. I still think the price point will be crucial.

Cinema 4D is great for physic simulations but sometimes could get a bit complex throwing around a lot of objects, I'm sure if people can get away with using the After Effects & the plug-in rather then Cinema 4D they will go ahead & use the easier way out.

Any physics-based system requires at least a basic understanding of the parameters, so there will never be quick shortcuts in many cases. In fact you might end up slapping some things together quicker in 3D. And let's be honest here: When was the last time you actually have used Particle Playground or some other such potentially powerful, but tricky to handle tools? I mean, quite a bit already can be done with that if you just get yourself into it. This is no different - to really produce something more than crashing dominoes or stacks of cubes, you will have quite a bit of learning ahead of you. It's not a magic potion to solve all your pains. Combine that with the fact that you will still want to retain a level of control and possibly hand-animate your "hero" items, to me the advantages of using such a system are not all that obvious. What you may gain on one end, you lose by extra time spent on setting it up... It may be an interesting option for a few things, but I can't see it being used that widely for many things. I mean, just because C4D has dynamics, you don't use them on every project, don't you?

Mylenium

Whether this is really useful or not to me really depends on the render times, and how quickly this plugin can really work. It seems to me that it would be easier, not to mention more realistic looking, to make something similar in Cinema 4D, which handles physics calculations pretty quickly and can produce really great results with just a little know-how.

I guess this would be good for people who don't want to take the plunge into a full 3d suite, but for people already schooled in mograph, it seems like there's better ways to produce better results

I think some people forget that not everyone uses a 3d package. There are plenty of people still justing using after effects. it will have its place like everything else. someone will find a use for it.

And it's another aesthetic. 3D is not necessarily better than 2D, it depends on what you want to do. If you want a go with a 2D cartoon look for instance, a 3D program is useless. I think the plug in fills a great need in 2D motion graphics and I hope it will have a big success. I've played with the demo a little bit [fully functional, it will only export 25 frames of the solved animation into After Effects] and it's quite cool. A little buggy, but cool... I wish they'll add more content in future versions. I'd like to see a rope/string simulation for example.