Sign in to follow this  
pchoi

Reel / site critique

www.philipchoi.ca

Hi, I just put together my first reel, so any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by pchoi

Hi Philip,

I think you've done a good job of choosing work to showcase that feels polished and consistent, and that's a real bonus. However, as a result it looks like you're really only showing 7 projects, so you have to pay close attention to how you present them. Right now there are three shots from what appears to be the same car commercial, and they're spaced out as the first and last shots in the reel, with one in the middle, and that puts a lot of focus on that project, as well as bringing to attention the fact that we're seeing it a lot. I think if you want to show three shots from the same spot, it might behoove you in this case to gang them all together and present them in one go before cutting to the next project. If you also do this with the other multi-shot projects, it should cut down on the repetitive nature of the reel.

Your intro is nice too. It's charismatic, and that's always a plus. I think if you can find ways to amplify the charisma through the animation, you'd be in an even better place. Currently, the typography is really only benefitting from the color and the slightly hazy veneer, while the animation is fairly linear and largely arbitrary. I won't say it's a sticking point, but if you were considering revisiting this part, you might do well to invest the animation with some intention.

Lastly, I like the simplicity of your site. The type is treated well and layout has a certain subtle sense of humor to it, which is fantastic. I do find it a little hard to watch the reel in the context of all of that business though. There might be some value in separating the typographic elements from the space that the reel plays in. Because the work that you're showcasing is mainly colorful text on image, and it's playing in a box with a bunch of colorful text surrounded by a chaotic image, it's a little difficult to separate the two while watching. You may want to isolate the viewing space just a bit, or perhaps have the accompanying typography dim itself while the movie is playing if you can.

It's a nice package overall. Just some thoughts to push it that little extra.

Thanks, the feedback is really appreciated. I had some reservations about the site, intro and not having enough projects to show (hence spreading them out), so it's good to hear it coming from someone else. I've been working on some new and more diverse projects since I uploaded my reel, so hopefully the next version of my reel that I put out will be more successful in getting my foot in the door at production houses here.

Thanks again guys

Edited by pchoi

Binky pretty well covered it. I would just add that the blur on the intro was a little bothersome to me. I couldn't figure ou whether it was intentional until the first project started playing and it was crisp. It was a little unclear what effect you were going for so it left me a little confused. I'd recommend going sharp with the intro text.