Sign in to follow this  
Keaton

My First Reel

Well, my take is that the difference between what works and what doesn't is pretty vast. The character stuff is pretty terrific, in my opinion. The stuff that doesn't work - the static small text over the abstract background, the grunge/kaleidoscope thing, you could probably leave out. I'm guessing you probably have more of the character stuff - I'd showcase that since that's the stuff that works.

I'd also either take out the intro, or make it something special.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the input. All valid points.

I realize my reel is a mishmash of all sorts of stuff. For this reel I was trying to show that I'm a bit of a generalist.

But I agree, my character animation is the stronger aspect of my reel.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

There's a lot to like in here for a first reel. The good is that it's clear you're technically capable and understand the tools and techniques. The reel's not littered with videocopilot stuff and "me too" projects which indicates that you can internalize techniques and not just parrot them back. I'm confident the reel will get stronger and stronger as you do more projects with your skills. Right now it strikes me, as many first reels do, as a series of tests and experiments. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in general be thinking "show don't tell." Make sure to show us your scripting skills in action, not necessarily the code you had to write to make that cool background, but the background itself doing something awesome. it's good to have a grasp on scripting but since it's just a tool directors aren't really going to care how you did it as long as it got done and looks great. Overall I think you're off and running, just keep building. And thanks for not padding it out to 2 minutes with mediocre work and repetition ;-)

Hey SaintEfan,

Thanks for the feedback. Everything you said is how I feel about it. Hopefully soon I will have more grounded client work and industry work to shove in rather than these tests.

I tried hard to stay away from the Kramer-Campbellitis. Not to say I haven't learned a lot from them. But I wanted this reel to reflect me, not tutorials.

Thanks for the great input. Much appreciated.

Best,

Keaton

Very nice stuff for the most part, Keaton, especially for a first reel.

If you don't mind some constructive criticism (and if you do, just stop reading at this point), what's going on with the "900bats.com" ident toward the middle? The first time I saw it, it looked like it was rendered out at an incredibly low resolution, but now that I've reviewed it a couple of times, it looks like you might be going for a lo-fi, Super Nintendo kind of look (I'm only guessing this from the blockiness and the stripped down color palette), but I think either way it's a bit distracting, especially when it's bookended by the nice looking, clean Comedy Central bumper and then followed with the really amazing western piece. If you are going for a lo-fi look on it, I'd maybe present a little more of the animation, or just make it obvious in some way that it looks lo-fi by choice instead of a rendering mistake.

Still, like I said, great work, and as a fellow mograph novice, I really admire how good the work looks, even in your early stages of working in the field.

Hey Sean May,

Perfectly valid critique. I was going for the lo-fi 8/16bit look. I think in context and with the original audio it makes sense, but in this reel it lacks grounding.

At one point I was trying to find the exact resolution for those games, then I was going to size it up for a 16:9 ratio, but I couldn't find that information anywhere.

So I just tried to go with what looked good. I designed myself into a whole with that one a little bit. If I did too many pixels, it looks like a low-res, crappy render, but if I do too few it's illegible.

I put in my reel to show I could work with a brand and have fun with it. But now that you mention it, the placement of it could probably be better.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.