Sign in to follow this  
rovino

Question: External Compositing tag and Stage object dont play nice?

Hi all

Working on a scene, I have 5 monitors in mograph cloner (animated and cloned to make 25 total objects) Ive also placed an External Compositing Tag (ECT) on the cloner and my screens all have Compositing tags with object buffers, also mograph cache set.

My plan is to replace the images in the monitors using AE for later changes in content.

When I render this out with 1 camera it works great, AE sees the object buffers and the ETC nulls come in just fine. I then took it a step futher and added a Stage object, rendered out a multiple camera view, my object buffers still worked fine, however my ECT didnt.

It simply exported the original 5 locations of the monitors.

Ideas, suggestions? does the external compositing tag not work with the stage objects? or am I missing a key element here?

thanks in advance for your help.

Well I normally have issues with ECT on cloner or fracture objects that are being animated. Generally you need to bake the cloner object into keyframes (not just a mograph cache) this is usually done via xpresso. Otherwise the ECT will just be placed in the original position of the object.

Here's a link that might be helpful. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6107418&postcount=8

But then again you said it worked fine for you when u had 1camera and no stage object.

If thats what happened why not just save the compositing file without the stage object so you have all the position data then add the stage object for render?

If thats what happened why not just save the compositing file without the stage object so you have all the position data then add the stage object for render?

thanks for the link, I'll look into it further.. What you said there at the end sounded like a stroke of genius. however when I tried it out not so good.. 8( Once the camera changes and the nulls no longer line up.. the actually glitch out like crazy

Hello!

Man, I had some problems with stage before, just like you.

Did ae imported all the cameras? Try to do that and change the in's and out's of the cameras, just like you keyframed in the stage object to change them.

If that doesn't work, try to make a cam in cinema that mimic the camera of the stage object (just copy the keys of all the cameras to one) and use that just to export to ae.

See if one of those work for you...

---------

dan_hin I used the stage objects to change the cameras in one projects because I was using motion blur. If u use mb, the abrupt changes in camera mess up things. If u change the camera using the stage, it doesnt compute mb to that change.

Edited by gui

I've never really understood why anyone would use the stage object. Is rendering out the frames/shot you need somehow not effective enough?

Oh sure... use logic ... 8 )

I actually like the idea of having all my camera movements in 1 file when I import to AE.. if that's not the case and I need to do a little ground work getting my renders in AE.. no biggie I was just asking if there was something I was doing incorrect or missing entirely.

Edited by rovino

To mend a final Camera out of several use this in a COFFEE tag

attached to a Camera placed -last- in the OM.

You might need changing the priority of the COFFEE Tag

to "Generators" , "499" to catch all action correct.

Nothing should ever glitch or need to be baked,

make sure you have all in the correct order in your OM.

Any "action" first (your clone thingies),

then your source cameras (used in the StageObject),

then the StageObject itself.

And finally the CarbonCAM.

Once in AE you can delete all cams but CarbonCAM.

Cheers

Lennart

// CarbonCAMv02 tcastudios.com©2010
// Add this coffee tag to an object placed -last- in the
// ObjectManager. This object will then mimic the current
// active camera object.

main(doc,op)
{
var activecam   = doc->GetRenderBaseDraw()#BASEDRAW_DATA_CAMERA;
var activecamm  = activecam->GetMg();

if(activecam->GetType() == op->GetType())
    op->SetContainer(activecam->GetContainer());

op->SetMg(activecamm);
op->Message(MSG_UPDATE);
}