Sign in to follow this  
Guest BillD222

Combustion v4 announced

Guest BillD222
didn't you read the c4 tech specs pdf?

could be nice upgrade...

20441[/snapback]

Yeah..reading now. Sounds kinda cool, too bad it looks like they didnt touch the particle system. Particles right now are murder on systems and highly unstable.

Guest ESC

hhmmm, sounds like they do have some nice features on it. I hope they do something about the memory issue.

Guest vuzz

It does sound like it has some nice stuff, but really have you ever seen anything inspiring done at all in C not just a roto, that went on to be finished in flame. The demo reel at Discreet for C is god awful, like the worst spots of the 90s reel.

I bought C at version 2.1, yes I really bought it, and right now it sits in the box a never gets used. I found it hard to do complex scenes, and would spend 3 times as long doing something as I would in AE.

Why is it that I have never seen one cool spot done in C really why? Yes it does have great features on par with others but still, I see nothing. Someone show me something.

v

Guest silatix

i tried making the transition from AE to C.. i felt like i was wasting my time honestly. i havent opened C in ages. im sure if i worked at a company that exclusivley used it over ae i wouldnt complain but it just never clicked.

It does sound like it has some nice stuff, but really have you ever seen anything inspiring done at all in C not just a roto, that went on to be finished in flame. The demo reel at Discreet for C is god awful, like the worst spots of the 90s reel.

I bought C at version 2.1, yes I really bought it, and right now it sits in the box a never gets used.  I found it hard to do complex scenes, and would spend 3 times as long doing something as I would in AE.

Why is it that I have never seen one cool spot done in C really why? Yes it does have great features on par with others but still, I see nothing. Someone show me something.

v

20471[/snapback]

Guest vuzz

And I know that it's not about the software but about the artist. All these programs are just tools, so whatever. I've spent enough time ranting about that.

v

Guest headbox

I think the difference between AE and Combustion can be summed up by asking what the person prefers- timeline based or node based UI. A 3D artist would probably prefer Combustion while an Editor would prefer AE.

Guest Sao_Bento

I just wish AE had the silky smooth real time curves - the rest of it you can keep. I hate the constant twirling down of arrows to get to anything in Combustion.

Guest ESC
I hate the constant twirling down of arrows to get to anything in Combustion.

20507[/snapback]

oh gawd! Yes!

Not to mention constantly clearing out the memory cache.

Guest tim.bowman
A 3D artist would probably prefer Combustion while an Editor would prefer AE.

20494[/snapback]

That pretty much sums it up for me. While I absolutely _adore_ the Discreet color correction tools, I go absolutely bugshit trying to do any complex motion.

I also dig the fact that Combustion takes over my entire screen. Makes me feel more professional somehow. It's silly, but it's true.

Guest BillD222

Combustion has soooo much potential. Especially when it comes to integrating with 3dsMax. There are a bunch of things that drive me absolutely bonkers though. Simple things like guides and rulers are just being added in this version! <_<

Also...I PRAY...the ability to finally lock a god-damn layer is incorporated into this version.

Some particle system updates need to be done, though this isn't mentioned as any of the new features. The particle illusion2 engine is really starting to show it's age especially when it comes to interactivity and stability---even with the "ceritified discreet" nvidia gfx cards.

I made my company buy C* at version2 as I was blown away by it's particle effects and 3d compositing. I didnt know that it's particles were particle illusion at the time nor did I know it was going to be so unstable.

Version 3 enhanced stability, but wasn't really worth upgrading to imho.

This version looks quite promising though, I hope some demos become available soon. Or some sort of Combustion roadshow.

Yay! Discreet Swag!! :D

Guest Lo1

As far as I can see, no "consolidate and collect of files" very bad, if you

want to backup a 5gig project at the end of the month and you dont know

which files can be sorted out....

and audio integration that sucks,....

but its still my daily workinghorse

Guest mr.Squiggle
Simple things like guides and rulers are just being added in this version! <_<

20560[/snapback]

My first feedback to discreet on using *c1 was the need for guides/grid/rulers, time markers & editable text. It is disappointing that its taken this long for the most basic of those requests.

You get used to managing the constant arrow twirling as long as you have an extra screen to spread it out on, its next to impossible on a single monitor. Layer lock would definitely help. Sometimes I prefer it too keeping track of all the multiple precomps in AE, perhaps if I used it more Id love the interface & find it more efficient but I dont because of a few plug-in compatibility/stability issues.

Guest hotbuttertrucker

I have been using c* since version 1. Back then it was difficult to justify, but I could see the potential. Now 3 is a strong version and 4 looks like it will be even better. There are many simple little features that makes the process of animating and the creation of motion graphics flow so much better then in AE. Recently I have been forced to use AE because of our workflow with other artist, but I truly miss many of the things that combustion offers. Yea there are features like "collect for output" which would be useful, but if you organize you files properly or even clean them up on you own after the creation process, its easy to live without that feature. You could work in both timeline and node based workflows depending on you needs. I could go on and on, but the workflow is much more rythmic and less hunting and pecking. The tool has the ability to become transparent and allows more creativity. Besides the renders are better quality then AE.

Guest Sao_Bento

>>Besides the renders are better quality then AE.<<

Hah! Good one! . . . So, are you gonna drop science, or is this one of those things that only you can see?

Edited by Sao_Bento

Guest tim.bowman
The tool has the ability to become transparent and allows more creativity.

20580[/snapback]

That's how I feel about After Effects. Which is why I get so frustrated with Combustion. I'd love to hear about some of the techniques you use that make Combustion more useable. Especially tips for working in the timeline.

Guest parallax

They both do almost exactly the same, but the workflow is entirely different. Wich leeds me to this conclusion: as far as i'm concerned, C is more catered towards compositing, and AE more towards motion graphics content creation.

Guest hotbuttertrucker

so what does creative cow acadamy have to do with this?

Look, the simplest and most effective tool which helps with workflow in the timeline is a key toggle "A" to turn on/off animation. You can take all the key frames that have been set for an object motion and adjust and re-adjust the position without messing up your motion or setting more keys . You can do it in AE but you have to be on a key and select all the keys in that channel, or parent it to a null. Also, what is up with AE's hooptie animation curves for position. You have x y and z wrapped into one curve. Another thing Combustion does well is you don't have to make a ram preview to sync up audio. You can also make adjustments as you are previewing.

As far as the render quality I have looked at similar comps rendered out of both AE and C*. Finished them on an Avid while looking at a broadcast monitor. I notice more edge problems in AE's render. I will say 3d button needs to be on in C*, the 2d comp is crap. If you have heard otherwise that AE has better renders I would like info on it.

Look, I use both for different projects and AE definitely has some tools I like, but there are some major workflow questions that leave me scratching my head asking why they made it that way.

Guest Sao_Bento

>>so what does creative cow acadamy have to do with this?<<

I think Sermon was suggesting that your peer group is waiting for you there.

Guest hotbuttertrucker

"I think Sermon was suggesting that your peer group is waiting for you there."

Oh, I thought we discussed things like that here, design, tools, etc. Sorry, I didn't understand my place and will keep my opinions to myself.