Sign in to follow this  
danmarker

C4D hologram material

I'm about to make a holographic material in C4D, one that replicates a printed hologram label...

previously i've done this with reflections

anyone have any tips on getting this closer to photo real?

You can use the S&T Cel shader with different Gradients for diffuse color as a multiplier for different images that you layer on top of each other.

Depending on the camera/surface angle you get the images smoothely blended over.

hologramcelshader.jpg

Thats a lenticular lense not a hologram and you can do it in the exact same way or you can actualy model it (i would use Mograph to place the prisms).

If you want to use the cel shader like with my example just add a couple of layers and make the gradients flanks steeper.

Cheers

Björn

Edit: Ups, the cel shader will only work with the correct visual angle here so it's not a viable solution for the lenticular lense, that leaves imitating or simulating the real effect by placing image stripes and making them visible depending on camera angle.

Edited by Srek

Thats a lenticular lense not a hologram and you can do it in the exact same way or you can actualy model it (i would use Mograph to place the prisms).

If you want to use the cel shader like with my example just add a couple of layers and make the gradients flanks steeper.

Cheers

Björn

Edit: Ups, the cel shader will only work with the correct visual angle here so it's not a viable solution for the lenticular lense, that leaves imitating or simulating the real effect by placing image stripes and making them visible depending on camera angle.

Hmmmmm.... it doesn't seem like a lenticular effect... especially looking at printed foil holograms or that youtube test

Hmmmmm.... it doesn't seem like a lenticular effect... especially looking at printed foil holograms or that youtube test

You could add an operation to your shader group that basically tells the camera, "use this shader if camera is 0-90 degrees, otherwise use this shader"?

This seems like a simple fresnel effect. have a look :

http://renderhell.co...ad/holotest.mov

.... Love it! This is a big help!

Don't forget the 3d "sliding" effect:)

holo lookie 1mbQT

Offset the textures from camera angle.

Cheers

Lennart

Hey Lennart, thanks for the video! I like what your doing here but I'm struggling recreating it on my end. You have two planes in the same position with one xpresso tag on one of the planes; mapping the planes coordinate rotation to texture tag properties offset of one of the textures?