Sign in to follow this  
DreVanGough

AVDstudios New Reel

A definite good start - your 3D skills seem pretty strong, if that's where you're headed. I'm not sure you need a watermark on the lower right throughout the reel, and I think you should start with your best piece - which is the robot thing you have. You might also pay more attention to the edit of your reel, especially the end where the music just kinda fades out.

Your work looks quite polished as a new graduate. You're developing a sensitivity to detail and all of that, so you're on the right track there. I think what you need to work on in the immediate future is your presentation. The reel contains professional looking work, but it's mixed with some throwaway stuff, and overall the montage lacks pacing and arc and drama and all of that stuff.

As for choosing work to include in a reel, and where/when to include it, you kind of have to ask a shot to fill at least one of three roles:

1) It looks amazing

2) It visually communicates something interesting

3) It just works seamlessly as a bridge between other interesting or amazing shots

You can have an entire reel full of stuff that does nothing but look exceptionally pretty and people will probably watch it all the way through. Likewise, you can have a reel where each shot communicates something compelling, or in such a compelling way that no one really cares if it's not hyperattractive. Ideally, a well-rounded artist can accomplish both in every shot, but that's not always the reality. As for the third, sometimes there's a shot you may have that isn't particularly compelling or visually astounding, but you have two other awesome shots that you need some filler between, and this one just makes the transition between the two work. And that can be a real benefit as a quick transitional moment.

So overall, see how a shot measures up so that you know what its value is, and that'll help you know where it belongs, and how much attention it should get in the edit. Remember that you're making a self-contained piece that has no allegiance to any of your work, it's a new thing altogether that happens to be made out of shreds of your old work. You're making a short film whose format is collage and whose imagery is work history scraps. Its purpose is to give us a taste of what you do and how well you do it, but you're going to get us interested more by giving us a great 1 minute short film than you are by forcing us to watch a presentation of your work history. Treat it like an abstract film, not like a presentation. To that end, you can build it however you like, but I would recommend cutting down on repetition and drawn-out sequences, and paying attention to the arc of the thing.

One more note: your site prominently displays your thesis project, which I'm sure you spent a long time on, and you're proud of, but it honestly shouldn't be front and center. Hone your reel and put it on that pedestal, then provide individual projects as secondary objects of interest.

Thanks so much guys.

Binky I never thought about the reel in that way thanks for giving me some insight I'll will see what I can do.

BTW good catch on the site, I was a little too precious with the thesis, lol. Thanks tho I will make those changes really appreciate it.