Sign in to follow this  
Fredrikivan

Apple Cinema Display

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new Apple monitor. I can get the new 27" LED display for the same price as a used old 30" Cinema Display.

As far as I know the only difference is the size, the new one is LED, the old is matte and the new is glossy and the new one has speakers and charger for the laptop.

So what about the quality? Anyone tried them both?

Cheers

Fredrik

I like the new ones a lot more than the old ones. Every cinema display I''ve seen has gone bad with discoloration and burning the image onto the screen. Of course, the new ones haven't been around long enough to see them go bad. It's also preference. Do you like matte or glossy better? Apple's gloss is different than a lot of crappy PC laptop glossy screens because it's actually glass and looks much better.

I just bough a 27' imac and it's plenty of space to work on. A few extra inches probably would do you that much good.

So I'd go with the new one, unless you prefer matte.

I'm not a big fan of the gloss, but I would avoid the 30's... they do get glitchy after a few years.

I feel like a caveman still rockin' my dual 20's at home, but they've been absolutely solid 5 years strong.

-m

I'm not a big fan of the gloss, but I would avoid the 30's... they do get glitchy after a few years.

I feel like a caveman still rockin' my dual 20's at home, but they've been absolutely solid 5 years strong.

-m

Still loving my 23s from 6 years ago.

I went out of the way to get a matte screen for my Macbook Pro, purchased new last year. I've never liked the glossy screens. At work, I just got a new 27 inch monitor to go with a new desktop, and it's glossy. I''m actually not sure if Apple makes non-glossy monitors any more. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the reflections that show, but have to say I love the overall quality of the screen itself.

* edit: I should note that I have an old 23" cinema display at home from 2004. Anyone remember these? http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/apple_cinema_display.jpg

Edited by daveglanz

I'll take the rich blacks of the LED over the grey of the LCD any day. (I'd say it's about an equal wash when comparing the downside of LED reflections vs. the way LCD matte screens spread room light all over the screen -that is unless you like to work in total darkness, to which I would reply: call me in a month when the migraines start.) :)

I'm rock'n the new 27" apple display. I had issues with the 27" imac at work for a while with reflections, but that was because it was reflecting a window. Have one in my home office now and it's awesome. Can't wait to get another. Anyone recommend a dual monitor arm solution?