Sign in to follow this  
Kmksunfire

roto/time remapping

quick generic question for people with the experience. If you were going to time remap a clip, and roto, would you time remap first, to roto less?

or roto first, allowing more options for time remapping later?

I can see pros and cons of both ways, guess I'm curious if anybody has done similar things in the past, and can share useful information on what might be best...

I would say plan ahead. If there is a chance you need to slowdown the footage again then I would roto first.

But if the plan is to keep the footage the way it is (time remapped) then I would roto after.

Really depends on the storyboard, planning, time & the will of the client.

Really depends on the storyboard, planning, time & the will of the client.

This...

After you've established the above listed, go from there.

I would always like the flexibility of roto'ing the whole clip and then time remap as needed later, and if things change with the remap, at least i'll have the whole clip to work with.

However, time does not always permit this.

Roto second if you are going to be speeding up the clip

How does that make any sense in any way? Why would anyone go through the tenure of fixing up interpolated edges when he could have had clean edges in the first place? Being measly about a few more frames to roto could in fact cost you more time and effort than just swallowing the pill... That's even true for semi-automated extraction with Rotobrush & Co. - more temporal detail, more for the algorithm to produce clean separation.

Mylenium

How does that make any sense in any way? Why would anyone go through the tenure of fixing up interpolated edges when he could have had clean edges in the first place? Being measly about a few more frames to roto could in fact cost you more time and effort than just swallowing the pill... That's even true for semi-automated extraction with Rotobrush & Co. - more temporal detail, more for the algorithm to produce clean separation.

Mylenium

I was referring to a significantly shortening a clip that had to be frame by framed... if a clips 1/4 of it's original length why roto 4x as many frames

Always roto first.* In addition to the interpolated edges problem, time remaps are one of those things that always change in production. You don't want the final animators to have to be continually requesting additional roto work.

* Except when it makes sense to roto second. Sorry. There are no simple answers in life.

Thanks for all the feedback, here is what I ended up with in case anybody is interested. I ended up time rempapping first, then rotoing.

One thing might be worth mentioning, is this footage was shot in highspeed first. So I needed to speed up parts to look more real time, and move into slow mo...

which I think might make a little difference vs. time remapping a normal speed 30 frame shot.

My link