Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

3 wheel color correction in photoshop?

It's not for me, im fine with using curves. but a friend of mine is a photographer, and needs something like colorista in photoshop, does it exist?

Guest Sao_Bento

I do often wonder why AE plug-in makers don't bother to make photoshop versions of their plug-ins. I suppose someone has determined that it isn't worth the effort.

It's not for me, im fine with using curves. but a friend of mine is a photographer, and needs something like colorista in photoshop, does it exist?

i just find it bizarre that with the huge user base no one made it. i mean its a really dandy approach to color correction.

i just find it bizarre that with the huge user base no one made it. i mean its a really dandy approach to color correction.

...but not a photographical one. It doesn't necessarily make sense to these people in the way it does to motion/ film/ video guys. Also there is potentially a ton of caveats with color profiles and different color spaces and their different gamuts and (Gamma) biases.

Mylenium

I do often wonder why AE plug-in makers don't bother to make photoshop versions of their plug-ins.

It's a completely different API. You basically have to start from scratch, again related to different color spaces, color management in general, PS' memory tiles and whatnot....

Mylenium

Forgive me going off-topic slightly, but what's the quickest method of doing a Knoll UnMult in Photoshop? Eg. turning blackness into transparency...

Channels, multiply, select->color range, magic wand/quick select tool/magic eraser are a few I can think of, each having their advantages/disadvantages in various scenarios.

Forgive me going off-topic slightly, but what's the quickest method of doing a Knoll UnMult in Photoshop? Eg. turning blackness into transparency...

select all, copy, new channel, paste, command-click to make a selection, make the selection into a mask for the layer.

select all, copy, new channel, paste, command-click to make a selection, make the selection into a mask for the layer.

Thanks, that's definitely helpful. Although the result I'm getting is not quite the same as with Knoll Unmult. With Knoll, if I then place a black solid underneath my layer it effectively returns the flattened image back to exactly how it was before unmult-ing. With this method, it ends up slightly darker. Dunno why that would be, but for most uses this method will save me a time-wasting trip to ae.

yeah, they need to make AE more friendly to still images, or make some crossbreed between AE and PS, or like a an AE still edition. I dunno, but something, coz sometimes using photoshop feels like using a stick and rock compared to ae...

Thanks, that's definitely helpful. Although the result I'm getting is not quite the same as with Knoll Unmult. With Knoll, if I then place a black solid underneath my layer it effectively returns the flattened image back to exactly how it was before unmult-ing. With this method, it ends up slightly darker. Dunno why that would be, but for most uses this method will save me a time-wasting trip to ae.

I've never used Unmult, but the method I mentioned would be darker because you're basically applying that same luma information twice. You could sort of fix that by tweaking the contrast of the mask with levels or curves or whatever. I'm not sure how Unmult does it though.

re: unmult

Take a look at these:

http://www.bergdesign.com/plugins/

you could invert the image and turn the white into transparancy then flip back. Don't forget to do remove white matte first.

For Windows users there's Red Prince Whitewash, but I'm not sure that still works w/ 64bit Photoshop.

There's also an Eliminate Black filter, but it's ollllld and slow.

re: unmult

Take a look at these:

http://www.bergdesign.com/plugins/

you could invert the image and turn the white into transparancy then flip back. Don't forget to do remove white matte first.

For Windows users there's Red Prince Whitewash, but I'm not sure that still works w/ 64bit Photoshop.

There's also an Eliminate Black filter, but it's ollllld and slow.

:H so easy

Thanks to everyone who's taken this seriously. The aeportal post was handy before RG released Knoll Unmult for CS5 but less so now. The bergdesign 'peelOffWhite' pixelbender effect (combined with Invert) does the job pretty much perfectly for 8 bit images. Thanks!!

Edited by kitkats

Thanks to everyone who's taken this seriously. The aeportal post was handy before RG released Knoll Unmult for CS5 but less so now. The bergdesign 'peelOffWhite' pixelbender effect (combined with Invert) does the job pretty much perfectly for 8 bit images. Thanks!!

Just wondering -- does the 'Alpha from Max Color' Pixel Bender not work in Photoshop?

Just wondering -- does the 'Alpha from Max Color' Pixel Bender not work in Photoshop?

Well, no it didn't. But... since you prompted me I dug around a bit and discovered that if I copy the file alphaFomMaxColor.pbk from

Home>Documents>Adobe>Pixel Bender>samples

to

Applications>Adobe Photoshop CS5>Pixel Bender Files

and restart Photoshop, boom! It's there in Filters>Pixel Bender>Pixel Bender Gallery

also working a treat on 16bpc images (although so was the bergdesign plugin as far as I could tell) It seems like all PixelBender FX are greyed out in 32bpc mode in PS for some reason. But alphFromMaxColor does save you the step of Inverting to white so it gets my vote.