Sign in to follow this  
rich

c4D effectors to control other attributes

Is there any way to get mograph effectors to control other attributes. For example having a cloned set of lights with a random effector controlling the intensity of each light, or maybe the decay?

Or if I setup an object with custom userdata, and then clone that, can i pipe the random effector into the userdata to change each clones value slightly differently?

Thanks guys

If your looking to use the random effector for random values you could try using the random seed in expresso instead. A work around could be a set up like this on each light inside the cloner:

http://ow.ly/i/cOhM

The random seed is set to positive only and the second input is set to 100 on the modulo which gave me remainders between 0-100. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but I hope it helps.

This can be done by setting the Cloner to Blend mode and increasing the effector's Modify Clone value above zero.

This example blends cubes with differing User Data scale settings. The same can be done with light intensity and decay etc.

If using a Modify Clone value of less than 100%, place a Plain Effector (Modify Clone 100%) before the Random Effector to remove the ramp applied by the Cloner.

Edited by David Wickenden

This can be done by setting the Cloner to Blend mode and increasing the effector's Modify Clone value above zero.

Now that's a neat trick I didn't know about! Didn't realise blend would modify user data - very nice.

Edited by ChrisC

Do you know if there are limitations with the userdata? I'm trying to get it to drive a few objects on a rig via a single piece of userdata.

Have attached a test file. The userdata is on the xpresso tag. Have two versions in the cloner with one set to 0% and one 100%. However when i do the blend and use a random effector i get only the result of 0 % or 100% and nothing in between.

Am i doing something stupid

Thanks

Ps its cinema 11.5

http://uploading.com/files/aa555e86/ohWhat.c4d/

mm. i thought you were trying to control the randomness with user data.

to make the opposite work in your example :

the Blend Mode doesn't play nicely in Grid Array Mode, so :

add a Matrix Object and set it to Grid Array like you set up your Cloner.

set your Cloner back to Linear with a count of 25.

add an Inheritance Effector to your Cloner and set it to Inherit the Matrix Object.

that should give you in-between values.

d

Edited by douwe

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried using linear blend and also setting the min value to 0. Thing is as i turn up and down the strength of the random effector i still don't get a smooth blend.

What I'm trying to understand is why the example you posted, David, works perfectly (whereby the userdata is controlling the size of the cube) and blends with good inbetween values. Whereas mine blends but the results for each clone are either 0% or 100%. Is it because mines got a few more things going on in xpresso?

The only difference between the two objects i'm cloning is a different shader (i've checked that having the same shader doesn't fix it either) and the different values for userdata.

Thanks

It looks okay to me at 0% Minimum and 100% Strength.

Turning off the Random Effector shows that by default the values are ramped by the Cloner based on clone index. Placing a Plain Effector (Modify Clone 100%) before the Random Effector in the Cloner list removes this ramp. Now when Strength or Modify Clone are reduced, the clones all move towards the state of the second group rather than ramped states.

Edited by David Wickenden

Ok figured it out. Loaded my scene file into the c4d r12 demo i've got and it works fine. Looks like they've fixed it in 12 but doesn't work in 11.5.

Gonna definitely have to upgrade now.