Sign in to follow this  
spennyhatch

C4D Fade out Material to Show another??

Hey all you smart people out there! I was wondering if there is an easy way to have a material "fade" out to show another material underneath in C4D. Im using version 12. Basically I have a word, and each letter in the word has a mat with luminance applied. Each letter has a differernt amount of Illumination/GI strength and also a little bit different color. So i want To have a kinda standard metal material, and then have that fade out to revel the Luminous material underneath. Normally i would just animate/key frame each property (luminance, color, reflection) to animate the material as i want, but in this case each letter is going to be a little different so don't want to have to animate each letter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I know you don't want to animate each material for each letter, but only way I can think of at the moment is setting the "colour" in the material into "layer" and having the two different sets of colours and fading the transparency of the one to show the one underneath.

Thanks for the info from both of you. I would love to set up User Data that drives each material with Xpresso, but sadly.. that's over my head at this point, lol. The real problem is that I basically rendered out a few different camera moves at very high settings that took FOREVER, with the "illuminated" materials already applied, and so now trying to basically set up the "normal" materials animating as each letter "lights up". So.... Not sure I can work in a reverse workflow. Here is a Screen shot of kinda what im talking about, that may clarify what im wanting to do. The letter "C" in this screen shot has the "normal" non lit up mat, so wanting to see if there a way to just fade out that normal mat, and "reveal" the first illuminated mat underneath i guess? Like I said, i know i could just start with the normal mat, and keyframe the Luminance as it "lights up" and the color changing, and the reflection etc... but i have multiple words with multiple letters and have already setup the lit up mats, and rendered them as a cam flys around... so trying to save some time if possible. Thanks again for the input though!!!!

P.s. Davor... I think im understanding what your saying that if i had a "layer" then i can keyframe the visibility, but when i tried that, becuase i allready have the materials setup, when i try to add a "layer" it changes the material, and it looks like it loses it luminosity. I also dont see where i could add the illumination part in the "layer". I see the option to add color, gradient, etc... but not seeing where i can add the luminance to that "layer". Cool Idea though, That taught me somthing right there so thanks!

Example1.jpg

Edited by spennyhatch

I do not know of a way to do that. I think you would be better off keyframing your luminance material.

I don't understand what you saying when you rendered them. Are you saying that you have already rendered out a pass of the letters lit up?

P.s. Davor... I think im understanding what your saying that if i had a "layer" then i can keyframe the visibility, but when i tried that, becuase i allready have the materials setup, when i try to add a "layer" it changes the material, and it looks like it loses it luminosity. I also dont see where i could add the illumination part in the "layer". I see the option to add color, gradient, etc... but not seeing where i can add the luminance to that "layer". Cool Idea though, That taught me somthing right there so thanks!

You would actually apply the "layer" to the "Luminance" setting, and add a "Shader">"Colour" and be able to fade it on and off. Also might want to look into using a gradient texture for applying the different colours to each letter, that way you only need one texture to play with, it that works for what you need to do.

You would actually apply the "layer" to the "Luminance" setting, and add a "Shader">"Colour" and be able to fade it on and off. Also might want to look into using a gradient texture for applying the different colours to each letter, that way you only need one texture to play with, it that works for what you need to do.

hey thanks man, that helps for future stuff, good looking out! Also to J Mon, thanks also! Yes i meant that i allready rendered a pass with the lit up materials.... Doh'

Peace!

Am I the only one wondering why this is even a question? It's ridiculously easy.

Apply two materials to the same object. The 'top' material is the one whose texture tag is the rightmost one. In this texture tag, check the 'Mix Textures' box.

In the topmost material, add an Alpha channel, and in the Texture dropdown choose Color shader. Animate this from 100% white to 100% black to reveal the material below.

You already knew this, no??

Just tried this out myself and yeah, the luminance is a problem. So, you need to do a crossfade - the exact reverse of the colour fade has to be applied on the underlying layer's Luminosity channel simultaneously.

Just tried this out myself and yeah, the luminance is a problem. So, you need to do a crossfade - the exact reverse of the colour fade has to be applied on the underlying layer's Luminosity channel simultaneously.

Thanks for the info, I actually allready just redid it correctly and got it sorted out. As you can probably tell, im still learning C4D so a lot of these solutions i was not aware of. THanks though, Just as an FYI, I actually found another way to do it though. I just

added a Display Tag, and animated the Viability from 100 to 0%. That worked out except looked like crap because the "normal" non lit up text was occupying the exact same space that the letter beneath it so got some weird issues, but no biggie, either

was i just redid it correctly! Thanks for the info though!