Sign in to follow this  
DreVanGough

Salary Question

Hey guys,

Just wondering what's the average salary for a Mid Level Designer / Animator, let's say in the NY area? (and maybe senior level)

Do any of you guys find that staying at one studio offers a better chance at pay increase rather than hoping from studio to studio?

Just somewhat curious. Thanks.

Hey guys,

Just wondering what's the average salary for a Mid Level Designer / Animator, let's say in the NY area? (and maybe senior level)

Do any of you guys find that staying at one studio offers a better chance at pay increase rather than hoping from studio to studio?

Hey guys,

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Motion-Graphic-Designer-l-New-York,-NY.html

Edited by tvp

If you're a freelancer in the NY area, here are the typical day rates from the people I've talked to.

Beginner: 400-500/day

Mid-Level: 450-600/day

High-Level: 550-750/day

I'm not sure about full-time, but I"m willing to bet it follows that freelance model - 50-60, then 60-90, then 85-low 6 figures.

Yeah I saw that PDF awhile ago. But cudnt find it again thanks.

I saw somewhere that jumps in pay come from switching companies rather than staying at one place? Anybody have any input on this?

@DaveGlanz :-/ those freelance rates seem high especially for a beginner. I know flame artist call that much but designer/animator idk man. Even salary seems high for an entry level. Idk any company giving 50-60k for entry level.

@DaveGlanz :-/ those freelance rates seem high especially for a beginner. I know flame artist call that much but designer/animator idk man. Even salary seems high for an entry level. Idk any company giving 50-60k for entry level.

Just telling you what I've heard and experienced in the years I've been doing this.

Just telling you what I've heard and experienced in the years I've been doing this.

Yeah, its not too crazy, especially when you're working in a large city where living expenses are high, it affects hourly/day rates as well.

If you're a freelancer in the NY area, here are the typical day rates from the people I've talked to.

Beginner: 400-500/day

Mid-Level: 450-600/day

High-Level: 550-750/day

I'm not sure about full-time, but I"m willing to bet it follows that freelance model - 50-60, then 60-90, then 85-low 6 figures.

This is a great answer. Seriously.

On a completely different topic, I also checked out your web-site and I have to say, I like your work, Dave.

This is a great answer. Seriously.

On a completely different topic, I also checked out your web-site and I have to say, I like your work, Dave.

Most People answer the salary question in a more cryptic way- I'm all for specifics. That said, salary and rates definitely depend on where you work.

And thanks for the kind words :)

I can't recall exactly what the census said.. but studios got the bright idea after it came out that they could hire multiple mid-level people for $50k (in nyc). Just say no to getting low balled. If you're a n00b though.. Take what you can get to build up that reel a bit and then make note of what the standard rates are so you're not underselling yourself down the road.

I can't recall exactly what the census said.. but studios got the bright idea after it came out that they could hire multiple mid-level people for $50k (in nyc). Just say no to getting low balled. If you're a n00b though.. Take what you can get to build up that reel a bit and then make note of what the standard rates are so you're not underselling yourself down the road.

That soooo does not surprise me.

I have enough stories to bitch all day about being low balled if I didn't have better things to do. Or rather, attempts to low ball me.

When I was a noob I had a place in LA offer me a staff job for 35k, so the 50k in present day NYC, for mid level people, does not surprise me in the least.

What a bunch of assholes.

Edited by tvp

When I was a noob I had a place in LA offer me a staff job for 35k, so the 50k in present day NYC, for mid level people, does not surprise me in the least.

What a bunch of assholes.

To be fair, it's within a business' best interests to pay new people as low a salary as possible, not only to make a profit for themselves, but to ensure that they have funds to cover overhead when things are slow.

That said, if you find a place that's offering a salary much lower than is reasonable to live in a big town, you should be looking elsewhere. Talented designers will be able to find work for a decent income (in the right place, I suppose). The people taking those low salary positions will either leave quickly or end up doing work that no one else wants to do.

I just think its funny that a studio that pays normal freelance rates would suddenly think that they were over paying by misconstruing the mograph census and think they could actually get 2-3 mid level people for such a low salary. Low-balling is common in business for sure.. Guess I can't hate em' for trying though.

That said, if you find a place that's offering a salary much lower than is reasonable to live in a big town, you should be looking elsewhere. Talented designers will be able to find work for a decent income (in the right place, I suppose). The people taking those low salary positions will either leave quickly or end up doing work that no one else wants to do.