Sign in to follow this  
AromaKat

Lytro Camera

Stumbled across this

Lytro Camera

When I first read this I started getting about all kinds of cool things I could do with the ability to animate the camera focus in post if the technology were to ever get into video.

I must admit beforehand that I am by no means a camera guy. I don't know too much about them (in the real world). Maybe I do and don't realize it, but I never use one outside of AE and C4D. Anyway, the more I thought about it the more screwy the concept became. So.... it must be digital, so whats the blur? Would there be some type of data we could export as a luma for our purposes? The article is also referencing abilities to change orientation, etc.. Look at the example on the site... What are the foreground objects? reflections on glass? They are translucent all the way through.

Its definitely an interesting way of opening up new possibilities if brought into video, but something feels odd.

Thoughts?

Edited by AromaKat

I have no idea what kind of voodoo technology they're using. But I've often thought it would be cool to have a camera that just captured as deep of a depth of field as possible: everything is automatically in focus. And then alongside that it could capture some kind of depth pass (I don't know how. some fancy infrared thingamajig? figuring out the parallax between two cameras?) And then you could do selective focus in post. Same thing with exposure. Imagine some kind of ultra HDR sensor where you don't even worry about exposure, it just captures everything, then you adjust in post.

wow, this thing is pretty cool! You can later manipulate the perspective of these photos.

Demo video >> http://video.allthingsd.com/video/camera-start-up-offers-a-whole-new-perspective/5B23C591-FEE6-4DED-8C15-281FC74542A5

So are these photos on their site the real deal or a fake Flash blurring gizmo? http://www.lytro.com/

Edited by mario5

Def some interesting stuff. Interesting that they've decided to make their own camera then sell the tech to a camera making company.

I'll def be following the news on these cams.

It's an interesting technology. I'm just wondering how much light you're going to need to shoot with a camera like that considering everything is in focus whenever you're shooting.

if the perspective is adjusted by the gyroscope on the phone/tablet, could be sweet for social media promotional stuff... especially with facebook pushing soo many ads into every feed...

IQ looks like a glorified Holga. Why give up image quality, just to gain the ability to refocus after the fact - just get it right in camera. I'm sure a lot of people will love it though. and I'm sure at some point in the future the image quality will catch up with the rest of the technology.

It will work for video one day, but that's gonna take a while. Their "40 Mega rays" sensor essentially translates to what a 5K cam does, but since the resources are "burned" on the depth info, the result is barely something worth calling HD - and that's just stills. I suppose for video they would need ten times the sensor and transfer bandwidth which could translate to a native 16k camera at 60FPS or something similarly crazy.

Mylenium