Sign in to follow this  
brandonJ

BrandonJ : demo reel 2011

First of all, there's never a reason to be nasty when critiquing reels. That being said, here's my critique.

* Your reel shows what you can do in 3D, which is cool.

* There's not much that shows storytelling ability. What I mean is, each shot just has something happen - it never transitions or follows up with anything else (a happens, then b, then c, etc).

* There seems to be an excess of dust and lens flares - perfectly acceptable when just starting out (hell I still do it too much, probably). Be careful of that.

* A bullet that looks like a bullet probably doesn't need to have the word "BULLET" on it. It also just kinda falls at the end of the shot - that looks odd.

* Be careful with the religious stuff if you're send this reel out to potential employers, unless the work you want to do is for churches.

Good luck!

Much like dave said.. The 3d stuff looks decent.. But thats about where it ends. There isn't much flow to your reel. Its a lot of 'hey! look at this thing i made.. oh and look at this one!'. Not sure how much commercial work you have done or if you're trying to craft yourself as a 3d abstract artist.. Its important to think about why your floating 3d alias even exist in the space you created. Overall, I'd say work on your edit and when approaching future projects, think about the purpose/concept.. and please, if you're going to add type, make sure its legible. Out of focus shitty type really hurts me.. on the inside :)