Sign in to follow this  
JonnyB

New Inspiration blog

Hi!!

I'm designing a new motion graphics blog and I'd love to get some input from the community here, I find that these forums a great resource for pretty much everything motion related if you have the time to search but i would like to provide a service for people who want a bit of quick inspiration.

The blog will serve 3 functions:

1) showcase the latest quality work from designers in the main blog

2) provide tutorials and resources (textures, scripts, stock footage)

3) provide a quick and easy way to find inspiration with a dedicated section (filters, search and reccomended content)

I realise that there are a lot of blogs out there with similar goals, but the main aim for this is to be a hub that collects all of the best content into an easy to use interface and would enable me to be more invloved with things as a whole.

What does everybody think? what features would you like to see in a blog like this?

I'm trying to get an idea of how it might work in relation to the community - I would like to create a network with other blogs and forums where I can link to other good posts I find in addition to my own, would this be infringing on others if I linked and credited other blogs/posts - I'm talking morally not legally. If I saw a post on say, www.graymachine.com ;) that would be good on my site, would it be acceptable to create my own post about it as long as it was credited and linked back to the source? I'm guessing that it would be as long as it is a 'post about a post' - would it be appreciated to ask for permission or could I just let them know that they have been linked?

This is strictly non-profit, I want a better idea about how to go about things and I don't want to be treading on people's toes here.

Thanks!

I use squeezeme.tv to keep track of a bunch of motion graphics sites. It's pretty good.

I really wish there was a site that had more critical analysis of motion graphics work. I personally have no trouble finding cool work. I would like to see a site where other professionals dissect high end work.

Do what holds your interest or don't do it at all. If you have to ask people on what to do, then there's something wrong to begin with and you should stay away from it. As far as I'm concerned: The whole idea sounds seriously *naff* - you can't force-build a "community". Such stuff evolves or it doesn't. If you have something to offer over other sites, people will accept it, if not, well, in half a year it will be dead. What the magic key will be, nobody can tell but just saying "I wanna do something great" doesn't make it happen...

Mylenium

thanks for your comments guys, mylenium I appreciate the advice - especially about building a community from nothing, it puts things into perspective. I think that you misunderstood my intentions for creating the blog though, I love what I do and I want to be more involved and proactive, even if I don't get lots of hits I will be doing it because I want to contribute and keep up to date with the industry. I am not simply asking people for one great idea, I'm just asking for bits of feedback about what other people would like to see, what they think is important and maybe some advice about running a blog like this.

Thanks for your advice anyway, I will be taking most of it on board but I will definitely be sticking at it.

Jonny