Sign in to follow this  
RandomEntity

Datacore Access Short

Just put this up a while ago, playing around with C4D effectors and mograph module. Color correction and everything done in AE.

Critique is super welcome. The harsher the better. I know everyone is sick of spheres, but hey, they look good. I'm pretty new to all of this.

Hello!

Well done man, that was great. How did you do the transitions with the camera shake?

The camera shake and RGB slide were done with VideoCopilot Twitch. It really helped to cover up some of the weird parts of the outer sphere growing and the camera moving through it. Cheated a little bit there, but hey, it works so I'm not complaining.

cool.gif

I'll admit that's where the original inspiration came from, trying to figure out how it was done. I do think that what I created is far enough removed stylistically to not be completely derivative. Actually, the ONLY THING similar in both of these pieces is the background and the fact they includes spheres.

And I actually posted it on Nick's blog afterwards telling him that it inspired me to do it. so yeah. just sayin'

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/06/offf-year-zero/#comments

Edited by RandomEntity

I'll admit that's where the original inspiration came from, trying to figure out how it was done. I do think that what I created is far enough removed stylistically to not be completely derivative. Actually, the ONLY THING similar in both of these pieces is the background and the fact they includes spheres.

And I actually posted it on Nick's blog afterwards telling him that it inspired me to do it. so yeah. just sayin'

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2011/06/offf-year-zero/#comments

Hi Courtney,

I'd disagree and say that this IS, to any degree that matters, completely derivative. You've done essentially a poor man's version of Nick's project and added a seriously half-baked and unsuccessful premise consisting of poorly executed typography as a way to get into and out of the copied material. And honestly, that's perfectly fine if it's a learning exercise for you, which I'm sure it has been. But don't pretend to anyone that it's an original work. It is most definitely not. The best thing you can do for your growth as an artist is to be honest with yourself about your work. What's yours, and what's not? When is it succeeding and when is it failing? These are really critical questions and if you can't own up to when something isn't good enough, or when it's facsimile without parody or satire, you'll have a super difficult time making any headway. And that won't be satisfying at all.

So rail against your instinct to defend this as original. It's totally acceptable as an exercise. And if these exercises are helping you learn, keep doing them. But remember that Nick's demos are platforms for learning software. The intention is that you have your own things to make, and that when you go to make them, these lessons will have taught you to wield the tools in an unobstructed way. Put the copy jobs in a folder somewhere for reference and get to making the stuff you originally wanted to. You can wield the tools now. Wield them for a reason.