Sign in to follow this  
destro

After Effects AA

Anyone know the a good technique to avoid the jagged edges on the far side of the circle?

I'm using After Effects CS3

(yes..still on CS3...you couldn't get a dollar coin outta my employers ass with a jack hammer :angry: )

circle_AA.png

Anyone know the a good technique to avoid the jagged edges on the far side of the circle?

I'm using After Effects CS3

(yes..still on CS3...you couldn't get a dollar coin outta my employers ass with a jack hammer :angry: )

I've replicated your setup on my computer in CS3 and noticed that when I look at it on a broadcast monitor the edges look a bit smoother, but a HACK if there isn't some other way to fix it may be applying the Reduce Interlace Flicker at .4 or .5 to smooth out the edges.

Related to Cameradan's observation:

Are you only seeing this when you preview, or are you seeing this on final output? In After Effects CS3, the quality of the pixel aspect ratio correction in the Composition panel for previews was of rather low quality.

It's square pixels, so no aspect ratio problems and full SD PAL (1024x576). No pre-comping.

It's doesn't look quite that bad on my broadcast monitor, but it's still noticeable.

I try to clean things like this up on my last polishing run on a project by I've never found a technique that satisfies me.

I currently use a technique similar to the one Camaradan mentioned. I start with a very low setting with the 'Reduce Interlace Flicker' effect and slowly increment the effect until I get a balance between overall sharpness and clean AA. I think it's a hack too. I feel like I'm smudging a mistake to hide it rather than solving the underlying problem.

I've got no problem with After Effects AA on the whole. This is an extreme example.

When I was freelancing the agencies usually paid for 1 hour of time in a Flame suite once I had finished my part of the job. The TVC that when to air always looked more polished because of that. I'm wondering if small AA problems are usually cleaned up in Flame or if I'm missing something here.