Sign in to follow this  
getSOME

Digital Tutors VS. Lynda.com

So im looking into getting a yearly subscription for my work. Since we all here and are working constantly something like this would help us in a crunch when we have a spare second to learn.

Whats your opinion on Digital tutors and Lynda.com ?

Is there any other place out there for training?

This is mainly what we would use it for.

Maya

After Effects

Adobe Suite (everything but in design and flash)

FCP

Like I said, everyone at my job already is a professional, but I wanted something that we could go to when we had some spare time to refresh and learn other stuff.

-Ryan

the only issues are the price, and that your basically buying terms as instead of buying a vault of knowledge for a year. But it is a good program

Tbh, the price is very low for what you get. The amount I learned at FXPHD is more then any normal school can offer me in my country.

Also the courses you paid for, you can always recall them and redownload them even after a year or so. I still have that option of 3 terms ago.

I just started for the 3th time a term at FXPHD and it is totally worth and you can find something for every proffesion.

I've even seen that they are offering now a RED EPIC course. Try to find that anywhere else with the conviniance of being at home & at low price.

If you want to get ahead of the industry, you have to lay down some money. And paying money for education is in my opinion never wasted.

I like Digital Tutors myself the sessions are broken down extremely well in short increments and they get down to teaching your not listening to someone going off track about what they had for breakfast.

If you dont go for digital tutors fxphd would be my 2nd choice ive done 2 terms with them the realflow training was excellent.

Tbh, the price is very low for what you get. The amount I learned at FXPHD is more then any normal school can offer me in my country.

Also the courses you paid for, you can always recall them and redownload them even after a year or so. I still have that option of 3 terms ago.

I just started for the 3th time a term at FXPHD and it is totally worth and you can find something for every proffesion.

I've even seen that they are offering now a RED EPIC course. Try to find that anywhere else with the conviniance of being at home & at low price.

If you want to get ahead of the industry, you have to lay down some money. And paying money for education is in my opinion never wasted.

touché salesman

In my experience, Lynda.com has spotty quality---some great, some... um... not great.

But fxphd is very reliably top-notch.

Creative Edge is worth a look, too:

http://www.creativeedge.com/

You can get all of the video2brain stuff there--including all of my courses. (OK, so I'm biased.)

It also has online copies of lots of books, including the ones that I've edited. (OK, so again I'm biased.)

If the choice is between DT or Lynda, I'd go for Lynda. They have really improved in the last few years. Sadly their Cinema 4D section is not included in that improvement. The Gnomon Workshop is also a great value, especially if you're into more traditional drawing/sculpting stuff.

Guest cgPoweruser

One more vote for FXPHD. Their courses are top notch.

I had a trial account at DT and I always felt like the tutorials were only scratching the surface and not getting into greater detail.

Can't say anything about Lynda.

An advantage of Lynda.com is that you can pay by the month. So for $25, you get all you can watch in 30 days.

Some of the tutorials were excellent, some were the idiots who prattle on and pad everything out.

I wasn't wild about the Cinema 4d or FCP tutorials that I took years ago. Maybe they've gotten better.

Photoshop wasn't bad.

I'm currently with Fxphd, LYnda, and cineversity. I tried Digital Tutors for a month for it's Real Flow and C4D training. It was alright, but I like Lynda because of the vast library of videos and topics. But for vfx or mograph you'll really never get beyond the basics, however they have tried to with some series. They update all the time and their Photoshop videos are great. Lynda is also great because you can watch their videos in 2x speed to get through them faster and still understand what is being said.

Edited by Cameradan

Well I went with Lynda for the company, so everyone can just find something if they need a it. I'm going to look up some fxphd classes on my own. Thanks for the comments guys