Sign in to follow this  
kidxmicah

Crazy long render

I have a pretty simple render set up that has some text with a spline mask and water type texture on the text. The render has taken over 18 hours and it is only a 10 second animation. I'm running on a new mac book pro that has 8gigs of RAM and the i7 quad core processor. Is this normal for something that has these kind of settings/or looks for a render?

I've attached screen shots of my render settings and what the text looks like to help anyone understand what I'm talking about.

I'm also using the GSG light kit.

Let me know if I can provide any other information to help. Thanks.

Dh122.png

A3LHH.png

HmRt2.png

I have a pretty simple render set up that has some text with a spline mask and water type texture on the text. The render has taken over 18 hours and it is only a 10 second animation. I'm running on a new mac book pro that has 8gigs of RAM and the i7 quad core processor. Is this normal for something that has these kind of settings/or looks for a render?

I've attached screen shots of my render settings and what the text looks like to help anyone understand what I'm talking about.

I'm also using the GSG light kit.

Let me know if I can provide any other information to help. Thanks.

Dh122.png

A3LHH.png

HmRt2.png

Are you using area shadows? What are your anti alias settings?

For what you're doing, this render time doesn't seem unusual.

Where do the little squares spend all their time? On the letters, liquid or on the floor?

Other things you can try, turning down the reflection/refraction bounces, and ray threshold up, that might help.

Excuse me Dave but yes, 18 hours for 300 frames at 720p is extreme. Look at the images, it's not crazy. Two hours would be excessive if you have 8gb RAM. I don't think condescending to someone who's using HDRI and spline masks is very clever either. Save your conjectures people, there is nothing odd in the render settings here at all, so it's something else. Blurry reflections are a total killer on render times. Get rid of it. Also heed the Monkey's advice about the raytrace threshold in your options window (which would have been helpful to see).

Why are you using the 32-bit runtime of C4D by the way?

Upload your project file and your problem will be solved in minutes (that is, if everyone's out of bed)

Regarding the GSG Light Kit

I have it myself and it is a great toolkit, however area shadows are a PAIN when it comes to render times. Turn it off.

In some cases I even had the case where a simple HDRI with GI was rendering faster then 3 lights from the lightkit.

Blurry Reflections - Alternative solution.

If you want to use blurry reflections, then export it as a pass (+ object buffer) and blur it within AE itself. This is simply better because you can tweak the the blur whenever you want + it reduces your render times.

Also I see (I think it is) that you are useing sub-polygon displacement. Those increase rendertimes like crazy aswel.

To bad I have little experience with that and can't really comment on that.