Sign in to follow this  
Marc Z

Cinema 4D R13 announced

In a lot of cases, the new Physical render engine actually is faster. When combining lots of sampled effects like blurry reflections, area shadows and ambient occlusion, it only samples the scene once, so you don't take as much of a hit for each light/material/effect. Also the new Indirect Illumination radiosity mode doesn't require the lengthy caching process of R12's Irradiance method, but offers speedier and better quality results than QMC.

Make sure to check out the full series of videos on Cineversity showing all the great features of R13 (Cineversity is a bit slammed right now - you can also see the vids at the Cineversity Live livestream channel). My favorites are the physical render, character object and collision deformer. I'm also pretty stoked to have a font dropdown with previews of each font that I can easily cycle through with the arrow keys.

It's a physical based renderer, not an unbiased one... From what people say and show on the German C4D forums, it's definitely faster in comparable situations...

Mylenium

Better yes, faster depends. The physical renderer has the advantage that good AA, DOF, Motion Blur and blurry reflections don't come with a huge speed hit. So for a very basic scene the new renderer might actualy be slower, but once you start to use the goodies it shows it's muscles.

SSS is just brilliant, i think Marijns renderings speak for themself. The other stuff does not look like much on paper, but Terrain Mask can give a lot more detail and feeiling of reality to landscapes and the improved Brick shader is a godsend for many arch vis people.

If you check out the Rendering video on Cineversity, the shaders are covered there. Briefly, the SSS shader is redesigned and vastly better. Multishader has an enhanced interface and mosaic mode (not to mention the "Add all from Folder" button). The Terrain Mask shader generates a gradient mask based on the altitude and/or slope of the geometry. Those are all awesome. I think the one that's going to be undervalued are the enhancements to the brick shader. It can use textures for the color, grout and dirt channels now, so it's much more powerful and can be used for lots of purposes where you need to tile textures with some variation and effects. It's also got a rain sampler built in to smear the texture as well.

Edited by Rick Barrett

Guest Sao_Bento

I'm such a wanker now, that I was more excited about the Adobe Edge beta being available. I've probably only launched R12 4x since it came out. F me.

Heh I played with the Edge beta too. Found out it pretty much only does PSR, exported a HTML, looked at it in a browser and that's pretty much all I'll do with Edge.

UGH... I just ordered 12 last Wednesday and now they are offering 13 free if you buy 12 in August. I called customer support about any possible leeway with the deal, but no go. Am I wrong to feel like I got kicked in the balls?

Yup looks nifty. Like the look of the generalised tools, collision deformer, the spline interface. Timeline tweaks look tasty too, chapter markers into AE is great. Sideways tabs, ooh!

Render enhancements are nice I'm sure but I'm enjoying VRay too much to get overly excited about motion blur etc.

Don't like that we're still stuck with the same damn material system. Would have liked to see that finally addressed, it feels like it's been decades. Once again, over to the feature request page...