Sign in to follow this  
gui

Preview | Houdini 12

Hello guys!

I think most of you use c4d, but anyway, yesterday SideFX previewed the 12ª version of Houdini at SIGGRAPH.

We, at every software update, hope for better performance, and they've listened. A totally redesigned engine to speed up the creative process. Very hardcore stuff.

See more at the sidefx website.

Here's the teaser:

I like the idea that houdini exists but I don't ever feel compelled to use it. Their primary market remains the technically blessed, the TD's and wannabe TD's. I would love to be able to do all the crazy procedural stuff you can do in houdini, but the amount of technical hoops I'd have to jump through just makes me stick with c4d.

The features look great. The fluid is a sight to behold. Houdini is serious soft of course.

The teaser looks like someone had a spare half hour to kill after a long lunch.

I like the idea that houdini exists but I don't ever feel compelled to use it. Their primary market remains the technically blessed, the TD's and wannabe TD's. I would love to be able to do all the crazy procedural stuff you can do in houdini, but the amount of technical hoops I'd have to jump through just makes me stick with c4d.

I thought that too when I started using it. I think the problem in the beginning is the expressions, but for someone that uses expressions in after, thats not a big deal.

For those who use expresso in c4d, the node based way houdini works is not difficult at all!

I gotta say that the only thing that I need them to change is the way beveling works, with fonts and with illustrator files.

The procedural way it works is awesome. And particles really rocks- I quit using cinema because of TP. Lots of headaches because of it! haha.

But in the end, it's a matter of personal taste. The node way works better for me.

About the teaser, i think it could be a lot better too!! hahaha.

Edited by gui

I'm not a Houdini user, but the node based technique sound appealing. Used eyon fusion a couple of times, and this kind of worflow was (for me) very smooth and faster then the layer method.

Isn't Houdini used especially for VFX like smoke-fire-liquid-dynamics stuff? I heared that's the stuff it was specialized in.

The teaser is cool, but I was expecting more :-)

Edited by JasonPhoenix

Yeah I always look at Houdini from afar as well. Its so wide open and powerful that I'm always scared away. Still, I have a lot of respect for the work that people do with it.

The teaser though... um... I'm not sure that is helping its perception at all because it doesn't show anything that you couldn't do in another app, and what it does show doesn't look that great (for a piece intended to get people excited).

yeah, that teaser is seriously below par. I mean stick a vibrate tag on the hull or something, The car travels like completely level all the way through the clip.

But yeah i've always wanted to get into houdini, i love all the procedural stuff. Just got too much other stuff to do first. =P

yeah, that teaser is seriously below par. I mean stick a vibrate tag on the hull or something, The car travels like completely level all the way through the clip.

Very strange, especially seeing the list of credits at the end. Lotta peoples. Almost makes me feel good about my sub-par work :unsure:

I think if I was starting fresh, or just running out of clients, Houdini is the first place I'd look to retrain; they've made it seriously cheap to get into, plenty of training info and the users seem to be in high demand for some serious gigs.

The teaser was a mistake - made by interns apparently - but their proper reel is a gem of course, they've got nothing to prove.

Edited by ChrisC

I'm certain that most of you make crazy stuff with other packages. I don't see any reason to be scared. It just take some time to learn, just like other apps.

Houdini is most used in vfx industry, but I love to use it to make motion graphics. The procedural way rocks when you need to change something.

The teaser was a crap, I know, but I wanna know the render time of that video. Smoke and great reflections take a lot of time to render.

But talking about cinema, maxon should build a version of mograph for particles and fluid stuff. That would rock!

Ok it's decided, lets Make houdini Mograph friendly :D

Who wants to start making 101 tutorials :P ?

Hello vozzz. It's in my plans. For this year, buy a mac pro, because my old pc is begging for retirement. For the first semester of 2012 (and before the end of the world :blink: ) a blog about design, houdini, drawing and perhaps some math, to use with animation (I'm a mathematician). Don't wanna copy GSG, but I wanna make with the same quality. ;)

if they were smart they'd just hire greyscalegorilla to pimp it. Boom! instant sale of 50,000 houdini seats.

Ooh, good plan - then we could all spend our time trying to remake our favourite bits of Harry Potter films. How close did you get? THAT'S how good you are. :P