Sign in to follow this  
brandonJ

my first 3D set design

not a bad start. you might want to investigate the grain issues you're having on the second pic (red carpet) and the floating dust in the bedroom is a bit much. i would not use shine as a volumetric light unless you can use the window as a gobo and direct the light downward but even then you'll get the shimmering rays of light which doesn't seem to work here on that scale. investigate how to do it in c4d or don't use it at all (i don't think it's necessary here). the bedroom feels very disproportionate and that may be what is bothering me. try utilizing the unit feature in c4d for modeling stuff (if the bed is 84 inches long then make it that long and if the walls are 8 feet tall and 11 feet wide then make it so, etc, etc).i think if you were to move the walls in closer to the bed it would feel more real and comfortable; and bring the ceiling down, too. where is that spotlight next to the bed coming from? also, if you're interested in doing interior stuff you should do some research into vray rendering as you can do some really nice gi stuff.

ps. you're in shreveport? i spent the first 19 years of my life there and then a few after college before i had to gtfo.

Edited by thekinginyellow

thank you for the critizism! will try to investigate all the neccessary elements in your feedback, but as for vray, it is just out of budget for me. i just recently got into set design like 2 weeks ago and thought id give it a shot, but i dont know anything about this unit feature. maybe a quick tut? as for shreveport, i was born and raised and never lived anywhere else, i am a month away from moving to dallas though. hopefully business will boom! any tips on the move? thanks..

ps. its good to know there is another shreveportian on here lol, i dont know anybody from here that does this kind of stuff.

by units i mean measurement. like when you make a primitive and you can then go to the properties and specify how big you want it to be. if you want to work in inches you should go to the c4d preferences and set units to inches (same as in photoshop and everything else). this way when you're modeling real world objects you can have a better idea of how big to make them. like just yesterday i modeled a fluorescent tube and instead of using online images i went to our storage room and grabbed one to measure. i threw it in a cloner object, did some post stuff and knocked this out:

37piecesofflare.png

so, by actually measuring the object i knew how big to model it. like the diameter (radius x2) was 1.375 inches and the length was 22 inches so that's how big i made the cylinder and then put a little fillet cap on it. as for your bedroom model, most room walls are 11 to 13 feet wide and 8 to 10 feet tall. just make a cube with those units of measurement and then maybe a 1 foot thickness so you can boole out or cut out your window and then build the bed and everything else accordingly. like if the bed is 3 feet high, 5 feet wide and 6 feet long...you can do that!

regarding vray, it's just a fancy more complex global illumination renderer. it's not necessary but you can do some sweet stuff. here's an interior i've been working on for the past few months. textures and lighting as a serious pain in the ass. after 6 or 7 revisions the client finally approved this so now i get to populate the room with clothing and accessories...yay.

closetsm.jpg

as for shreveport...i do not know you but i am very proud of you for leaving! shreveport is a great place to grow up and it is very nurturing of the arts and the creative folk that reside there. after college i moved back and worked at MMCC for a little while which allowed me to have a lot of creative freedom, learn about the real world and make cool stuff. for me though, sport was a dead end. yes, everyone and myself were producing creative stuff and having a good time but no one was growing beyond that. like an assembly line, they just keep churning out the same stuff over and over. you're really doing yourself a big favor by getting away from the city and seeing some place else. i've lived in lafayette, nola, shreveport, monroe and houston. i almost moved to dallas last year but the job didn't pan out. just try to make some good contacts and get involved in projects...be active in the community. make sure that people know what you do and what you can do so that when an opportunity appears everyone will know who to turn to!

you're still young and the world is waiting for you. good luck!