Sign in to follow this  
Guest igorschmigor

rating system

Guest igorschmigor

Actually a rating system is a good idea because the reels section is really getting huge. But, i don't know why, somehow knowing that i'm looking at a 1-point-only site makes me feel like i'm putting up with secondclass stuff. Watching their reels then just isn't that much fun anymore. Do you know what i mean? It's irrational but i can't help it. I just approach sites with far less preconceptions without a rating system. Does anyone share my opinion?

Guest firemind

Wel, a single :H site isn't inferior by any means, they have been deemed worthy to be in the list after all :) .

But then, if all you are after is the cream of the crop, then maybe it is.

Anyway, unfortunately there technically isn't anyway way of hiding the ranking other than cloning the entire forum and renaming each thread again, which is not something I'll be doing ;P

Guest igorschmigor

yes, i know, you only add good sites to the list anyway, so they're all worth watching.

But in creative matters ratings are always subjective. Fortunately we both seem to share the same taste more or less, i'm glad Sao Bento didn't do the rating. :D

Guest pasto

The useless and childish (spelling ok ?) aspect of this rating system is obvious in your own words...

Your site is a too much good ans serious ressource for this crappy things. It doesn't need it at all.

You should rate the Igor bandwith...:mrgreen: Go and make some reels guys. I can't wait to see your productions.

"Si votre plumage se rapporte à votre ramage..."

pasto 8)

Guest igorschmigor

i see, you only scored 2 points. I thought i felt some aggression in the choice of the words "childish" and "crappy".

That's another aspect, firemind, you might turn off some of the people that you rate by not giving them the full points.

OK, i understood that you're not going to remove the ratings anyway. But maybe you could just not add any more ratings to the new sites that are yet to come.

Who else agrees? Does anyone care except Pasto and me?

Guest pasto

Yeah if I scored 3, I would have liked the rating... :roll:

No offense or aggression Igor, just my little opinion.

pasto

Guest igorschmigor

haha, very funny, that's not what i meant. I understood that you already dislike the whole idea anyway. But still, ... like when people tell others to create some own stuff. That usually means that they'd like to have something to critisize in return. But then again, i am the king of misunderstandings.

what about my bandwidth? i didn't understand that-

and after all, even if you feel happy with two points, i'm sure some people won't, and what about those that only get one point. I wouldn't be surprised if some people did take it personal.

although i do understand a little bit of french i didn't understand the quote "Si votre plumage se rapporte à votre ramage..."

what are plumage and ramage? what does it mean?

Guest pasto

hum... sorry again for my bad english, I keep misunderstanding everything. pfff frenchies are so bad at school...

Your bandwith Igor was an allusion to your post number and velocity to post. Just a little joke, no offense (!!)

By the way I was quite happy with 2 when MK12 have 3 !! lol

They should have scored 12 points as far as I am concerned.

And the french quote is from La Fontaine (french writer) the ramage is the "Talk" and the plumage is the appearance,

it is a joke (I guess I try to be funny...) about the relation between what you tell and what you show.

never mind

still working by a fantastic sunny sunday on a stupid soccer video game commercial...

pasto [2] bored

Guest igorschmigor

cool, i constantly improve my english and french skills on the net. i didn't know the word "allusion" yet either.

Guest firemind

Well, the rating thing was in direct response from other board members who felt they were drowning in reels. What to do, what to do...

Guest igorschmigor

in your inner self you must look, the right path find yourself you must. Strong in you the power is. :D

Ok, seriously now, you're stuck between two positions. But those that complain about the enormous amount of sites should still have enough time to read your comments about the sites, they are usually clear enough to know what to expect. Comments tell us much more than ratings. What makes it even stranger to me is the fact that there are no votings or polls. The average of 10 votes would be more probable to meet the average opinion about a site than just one vote by you.

Guest firemind

Well, polls or a voting system would take up way too much time. If ppl disagree about a rating they can reply to the thread and I'll take it into consideration. That's about as democratic as it can get.

Guest markinchina

mostly I agree with what firemind's rate. But I have two question:

1.Why MK12 have 3 hearts ,there reel get the same look just like some studio have 1 heart ? :( please check their reel again.

2.Brand new school maybe too much clips there,but some of them are very excellent :D ,why just worth 2 hearts? :shock:

that's my subjective opinion~~~~ :wink:

I am a graphic design student,like watch reels in here.feel free to take a look at my works in 2003 :lol: :

http://www.gbdo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=626

Guest scottiedarko
1.Why MK12 have 3 hearts ,there reel get the same look just like some studio have 1 heart ? :( please check their reel again.

The reason other studios have that look is because MK12 inspired them. MK12 puts out work that is heavy on style, content, originality, humor and presentation. they are constantly creating things that raise the question, "how the f--- did they do that?!"

if mk12 isnt a 3 then nothing is...

Guest timmy

i don't see how you can "rate" artists.

i don't think you should rate artists.

it's petty and all opioninated and leads to childish thoughts and sick mothers and angry fathers.

what is picasso's rating to george bellows? this is stupid.

is the rating thing for catagorization purposes? there are a lot of other means to catagorize. how about by region based? by age of company? alphabetical? i kind of saw the reels section of this place as a library. the dewey decimal system does not rate books.

looking through reels should be like looking at a garage sale or thrift shop. and this is why i hate ebay. it makes it all so simple. half of the fun is the looking around. the seeking out part. we're loosing that in this immediate, instant gratification world of two thousand and four.

this isn't a race. this isn't league bowling. i'm not looking to build a batting average. there is no world motion grahics series at the end of the season. there is no season.

but above all, i certaintly don't want new, up and coming artists and companies to be down about their abilities and feel disenchanted with their work or this board because they only scored a one or something.... cause frankly, that doesn't help anything. lets not hinder people or their creative flow because of labels.

fucking labels. i want to mk12 to be changed to a zero.

Guest André Leroux

I agree with you Timmy. There are so many styles & approaches to motion design now, that it would be very difficult to rate these individually, not to mention fairly. I myself have a demo reel, & I dont dare put it in the DR section, cause its gonna get chopped up :) . I am relatively new to motion design, so I dont let it get to me all that much. There is not one bad reel in there & all should be regarded as a collection of works of art. I know that they are a great source of inspiration. Ok, I know, some are commercial & some not so commercial, but we do live in a commercial world dont we. Maybe the rating system should be droped all together & that itself would take away all these issues, but than again thats not for me to decide.

My 2 cents

André

Guest firemind

The rating system was put into place after a lot of complaints there were too many reels to keep up with, ppl not having the time to check 'em all out.

I can see both sides of the argument, but technically public voting on each thread (other than making each thread a poll) isn't possible within this board system. The alternative I see is duplicating the reels section, one with and one without rating. Keeping them both synced and going through aaaaall the posts removing the rating will be a bitch tho :P

I'll have to give it some more thought :?

Guest igorschmigor

yes, but they're not using the prebuilt board-software that mograph uses, firemind would have to manually edit the code, which can be rather difficult. I see the technical problems that firemind has mentioned.

Guest firemind

If some php guru would like to build a system like that for this site for free, I'd be the last one to stop him :P But seeing as that's unlikely, this board is as good as it gets.