Sign in to follow this  
Davor

C4D- Little bit of Spline dynamics and Object dynamics...

Hello helpers!

I'm trying to do this dynamic animation thing where letters are attached to ropes and they get dropped to spell a word. I've got the drop part with the rope attached to the object and it seems to be working... mostly, my issue is that the letters don't collide to each other. I believe it's the whole xpresso thing where I told the object to follow the spline so it ignores object collisions. Is there any way I can get the object to dictate the dynamic aspects of the rope? I've tried something quickly but don't quite get Xpresso well enough to figure it out, and can't seem to attach a dynamic object to a spline, it just falls down leaving the spline behind.

Thanks!

Don't think that this will work. The way I see it you will probably have to do something weird involving constraints or the dynamics joint, the point cache/ MoGraph Cahce and an inheritance effector plus possibly morphing and/or motion blending and some clever animation of the weighting/ influence of those tags. E.g. animating a joint's strength or on/off state would detach an object when using dynamics...

Mylenium

Why not just use Soft Body dynamics on the rope, instead of using spline dynamics? Avoid Xpresso all together. If you keep everything soft/rigid bodies, I feel like you could get it to work. I've done the letter drop down thing with letters and chains before.

Theres also a trick where you can turn on dynamics, but make it follow animation as well. In the dynamics tag/force...use follow position amount. USe soft bodies on the spline.....should work if I'm understanding you correctly. (i'd post a c4d file but can't figure out how on here.)

Why not just use Soft Body dynamics on the rope, instead of using spline dynamics? Avoid Xpresso all together. If you keep everything soft/rigid bodies, I feel like you could get it to work. I've done the letter drop down thing with letters and chains before.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

So a soft body dynamic on the spline gave me some pretty awful results, the spline would get quite messy and would stretch out way too long if I could get it be clean. Connecting was an issue as well. So some more searching came across the MoGraph cloner method with soft body. That seems to get me in the right direction but also acting odd. Once the object drops it keeps bouncing around as if it's getting repelled by the wall.

partial scene file link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5A5T3T7