Sign in to follow this  
mattison

Lights C4D

Is there a way to control the starting diameter of a spotlight? I've made a simple par can and attached a spot light to it and I want the start of the spot light's volumetric light to be the same diameter as the lens of the par can.

parcan.jpg

If you want to cheat it - just drag the start point of the light behind the par can until the outer angle of the spot light matches the the starting diameter of the light housing.

Make sure to make the light is set to "exclude" the par can geometry.

Then, in the visibility settings of your spot light check "Use Gradient" and make a black to white gradient with the knots set to "None" and adjust so you don't see the volume behind the par can.

LZFCg.png

You don't have to cheat it, the parameter you are looking for is under the details tab called "near clip". Set both paramaters (from,to) to the same value like 100cm for example and you will have a sharp cut at the beginning of the visible spot.

You don't have to cheat it, the parameter you are looking for is under the details tab called "near clip". Set both paramaters (from,to) to the same value like 100cm for example and you will have a sharp cut at the beginning of the visible spot.

Well there you go. Cuts out a few steps and has some nice visual feedback.

Thanks tezuka.

So both of these methods require moving the light back behind the par can and essentially blacking out the first bit of light. Say i wanted to create a light show and I wanted to animate the outer angle over time. The way it stands the actual origin of light, where the axis bands are, is set way behind the lens, increasing the outer angle quickly increases the diameter beyond the lens size. Where as if there was a way to set the origin of light at the same position as the lens, set it's starting diameter to, say 100cm, the the outer angle would spread out from the 100cm diameter origin, or whatever value you set this to. Is this possible?