Sign in to follow this  
NastyJames

Trackin' Package

Hey y'all, it sure has been a while. And check out the fancy new digs...

Anyways, I have to do some 3D motion tracking. So what do you all reckon is the easiest package to learn, and use? And if you know about any particularly good training resources, would you mind sharing those as well?

Also, does it play nice with C4D? I had to work with someone else's tracked footage from Boujou, last year and it was a nightmare. Eventually we found a workaround, but I'd like to avoid all that nonsense.

and as an aside... How do I get my picture back? Is there anyway to do it without the gravatar account? The last thing I need is another account.

Thanks all!

it depends on how complex your tracking is. pfhoe is super easy to use but is quite limited. moving up there's pfmatch and syntheyes, which have more compex workflows. at the top end there's pftrack and boujou, but these are probably overkill.

it depends on how complex your tracking is. pfhoe is super easy to use but is quite limited. moving up there's pfmatch and syntheyes, which have more compex workflows. at the top end there's pftrack and boujou, but these are probably overkill.

not too much heavy lifting. Most complex shot I'll have is to orbit some text around a stationary ball. I like the price of pfhoe, but what are it's limitations?

I would personally suggest Syntheyes. (Actually PFtrack but unless a company is footing the bill, its pretty costly) Have used syntheyes on a number of project and was really impressed at the speed and quality of the track. Definitely plays nice with C4D and is way more robust at only a slightly higher price tag than PFhoe Pro.

i second the motion for the foundry tracker (pun intended!).

i did some tests after i saw what you can do with it and was very pleased:

gauntlet-workflow-series

there's another tut here. the guys says it's a three part tut but it's been over a year; we'll never see part3. you can get enough info out of the first two to get the job done, though:

part1

part2

Edited by thekinginyellow

I'd look at the Foundry's 3D Camera tracker plugin for AE - it worked great for me the one time I needed to use it.

Agreed. I was rather impressed with Camera Tracker for AE, and at only $250 its not nearly as expensive as a stand-alone application. If you can track, then export your AE camera to C4D (untested by me), you should be golden.

Has anyone used PFHoe? How does it compare to Camera Tracker? I was trying to decide between the two.

I was tempted with getting PFHoe since it's only $100 but with another extra $150 for Camera Tracker & all

the awesome things I've been hearing about it I was leaning more towards that now.

Hey guys, I'm using the Foundry Camera Tracker on a project and I'm struggling a bit to get a good track. Does anyone have any tips for settings? I am trying to track a simple side to side dolly shot outdoors. The tracking does not seem to be able to maintain any of the points in the foreground for the duration of the shot however. Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by boarderpat