Sign in to follow this  
PauloBlob

PauloBlob Reel / Site

Hey Paulo!

Site looks good. You had me reconsidering this whole prosite thing for a few minutes there.

Reel looks good too. There's a nice selection of work and it moves along at a good pace. There is a lot of repetition, though. And I think if you just grouped certain types of projects together better you'd eliminate that problem. Y'know, keep all of the Nick stuff together, and keep the Save Our Slopes stuff together, etc. Also, while I'm glad to see you've invested your intro with some character, I'm not really sure that it's resolved just yet. Right now it sort of feels like you have three intro ideas, none of which have anything to do with one another. Tesla quote -> spinning white thing -> lightning atom thing? The meaning of these things don't have to be explicit, but they should probably tie together, or at least feel like they belong together and mean something together.

You might also do well to more clearly delineate what your role is/was on some of the individual projects on your site. Looking at the projects, I'm not always sure what I'm supposed to be looking at and what your involvement in them was. Like, I kind of remember what you did on the Fringe promo, but there's no way for anyone else to know which part you did. So overall you probably need to figure out a way to edit down what you're showing and also develop some kind of system to help us understand your various roles.

Binky,

Thanks for the feedback man! I really appreciate! So regarding the nicktoons stuff it was so fucking hard to choose wether should I use it or not cause they choose the logo to be the main character on the hole package wich makes it feel really repetitive... Some people told me about it but I still think it was valid cause they are so different(at least on the backend) from one another that I decided to keep it.

Also on the intro side, i was lil afraid to add that quote. People who does not know Nikola Tesla will get lost on that concept. I tried to to just show how Tesla dreamed about his inventions before coming to life. It is not meant to be literally but it was the main concept behind. Good to know it is still confusing but I was trying to make people google for Nikola Tesla, wich was the father of electricity and the creator of the Tesla Coil/machine ( an attempt to give free energy to everyone on earth...) So I tried to make it in someway connected to the spinning circles and the quotes. But it would require the viewer to have researched a bit about Tesla.

The breakdown will come soon. I have been working on it! For some reason the details from behance did not go to prosite. I added for some projects but it is not showing, I will fix that soon.

And regarding Prosite. I love it! Honestly I always had problems with html stuff and they dont make you edit a single line which is great btw. The connection with behance helps a lot to get your work out there. In my opinion it is working really smooth.

You are the man! Thanks for taking so much time writing. I really appreciate!

I will keep working on the shotlist for the reel and for each project. It should be done soon!

:)

Hey Paulo!

Site looks good. You had me reconsidering this whole prosite thing for a few minutes there.

Reel looks good too. There's a nice selection of work and it moves along at a good pace. There is a lot of repetition, though. And I think if you just grouped certain types of projects together better you'd eliminate that problem. Y'know, keep all of the Nick stuff together, and keep the Save Our Slopes stuff together, etc. Also, while I'm glad to see you've invested your intro with some character, I'm not really sure that it's resolved just yet. Right now it sort of feels like you have three intro ideas, none of which have anything to do with one another. Tesla quote -> spinning white thing -> lightning atom thing? The meaning of these things don't have to be explicit, but they should probably tie together, or at least feel like they belong together and mean something together.

You might also do well to more clearly delineate what your role is/was on some of the individual projects on your site. Looking at the projects, I'm not always sure what I'm supposed to be looking at and what your involvement in them was. Like, I kind of remember what you did on the Fringe promo, but there's no way for anyone else to know which part you did. So overall you probably need to figure out a way to edit down what you're showing and also develop some kind of system to help us understand your various roles.

Edited by PauloBlob

A friend told me it was "epic as fuck" lol that left me thinking about it. The game of thrones track is a really good reference but anything with an orchestra behind it would make it sound similar. I was a lil afraid to use ut but decided to move on and see what people would think.

Thanks for the feedback man!

wow! that's really good work. i don't know how i feel regarding the game of thrones style epic audio track, though.

So regarding the nicktoons stuff it was so fucking hard to choose wether should I use it or not cause they choose the logo to be the main character on the hole package wich makes it feel really repetitive... Some people told me about it but I still think it was valid cause they are so different(at least on the backend) from one another that I decided to keep it.

I agree that you should keep most of it in your reel, I'm just saying that you could present it together, as a group, instead of spreading it out over the whole reel. So your reel would be unfolding and you'd see all of the nicktoons stuff, and then you'd see all of the human target stuff, and then you'd see all of the save our slopes stuff, as opposed to a nicktoons shot, then save our slopes, then another nicktoons. That way it feels a little less like you're just repeating yourself.

Also on the intro side, i was lil afraid to add that quote. People who does not know Nikola Tesla will get lost on that concept.

I'm quite familiar with Tesla, but I have no idea how the man or the quote relates to the spinning white thing. That, and the quote is about the limits of perception, so the quote seems altogether random. After a few seconds of watching the spinning white thing, I kind of give up on figuring out how it's relevant to the quote, and by the time it turns into the atom with the lightning, I've stopped thinking about Tesla at all.

It's not likely that, unless you give them a really compelling reason to do so, anyone is going to google Tesla after reading that quote. If there's something you need the audience to know about him, you need to convey it yourself. Your intro should be self-contained. I shouldn't need any special knowledge, or anything external to the reel to be able to make sense of what you're showing me. If you have an idea to convey to your audience, then it's your job to convey it, not theirs to research it.

Basically, I think you have some semblance of an idea, but you're not conveying that idea. What you're conveying is a quote about perception by a man not well known for his scientific research, followed by a white spinning abstract shape, followed by a thing that looks like an atom with thin lightning bolts and your name. It's just a really disjointed set of things. So you need to figure out what you're trying to convey and then refine the imagery until it conveys ONLY that thing. The stuff looks good, but it feels confused. And again, you don't have to be explicit about your idea, but your audience shouldn't be left sitting there thinking that what they just watched was totally random.

Edited by Binky

the idea of putting all the nicktoons on a sequence is a good one. I will give it a shot and see how it goes with the music. My only concern is that it is an IN and OUT animation for most of the ids which would make everything seems to go back and forward every 2-3s. But I will give it a shot.

Regarding the Intro:

Carey, I strongly, boldly, disagree with you on that. And before you get me wrong, I will give you some reasons.

If you were familiar with Tesla work, you would know his most famous invention, the tesla coil: the image below is his drawing on the patent archive

patentfig2.gif

It was from this picture I got the idea to form the circles or as you call it "the white spinning thing" :)

His quote at beginning was just about everything we have been talking about here: Perception. You are using your eyes and ears to make sense out of something that is based on a dream and curiosity.

When you say I must convey the idea I say I must not. i'm expecting the viewer to take his own conclusions out of something meant to be an imaginary machine based on Tesla's work even if it fails to pass the concept as it did to you.

If you are expecting to see "1+1=2" on this intro you are not getting the first message conceived on the quote and by doing so, you are not looking at it as art. What is left is a "white thing spinning" and information.

And Carey again dont get me wrong I love discussing this subject with you. Seriously. I'm not arguing about wether what you are saying is right or wrong but we coming from 2 different points of view. Me presenting the information and you as the viewer. I love you brought that up cause it was my main concern while working on the animation. I was thinking about adding more details, extending the visual information to leave no room for doubt by reproducing a tesla coil but after debating with myself I decided to keep it as simple and minimalist as possible.

Edited by PauloBlob

Awwwwwww YEAH! Now we're gettin INTO it! Fuckin science n shit! hahaha :D

I see what you're getting at. I just don't think you've gotten there, mostly because the ideas you're working with are so nebulous. Nebulous isn't a bad thing for the audience, because, as you're suggesting, it gives them something to ponder in their own time. But I also think that you have to give them something to go on. Like... you have to bait them, get them on the hook, so they have a reason to stay with you and sort the ideas out for themselves. It's a fine line to walk sometimes, because you want to be neither too obvious nor too obscure. I'm just saying that you're erring on the side of obscure, to the degree that the audience (ok, maybe just me) has no entry point. Now, even that might not be an issue if your audience were compelled by some external reason to treat the thing like a puzzle, or to watch it many times over, or if maybe this weren't so much a reel as a viral marketing attempt involving other interesting media, etc. But this is an intro for your reel. It will be seen by producers hunting for emergency freelance help. It will be seen by people surfing mograph for c4d help. It will be seen by guys who have spent all day comping in photoshop and raping after effects for every last bit of its sexiness. That's your audience, more or less. And that audience isn't necessarily looking for, expecting, or willing to endure the challenge of an obscure scientific/philosophical romp, especially when it's followed non-ironically by cartoons and commercials. So you have to take that into account and give them a hook or an incentive so they'll do the mental legwork it's gonna take to enjoy the ride. Sometimes that's as simple as just letting them in on the joke, or giving them something dumbfoundingly beautiful to look at, or generating some other legitimate curiosity.

Here's something to consider: the tools you have at your disposal for getting your ideas across to the audience are only what the audience already knows. It's your job to put those tools together in such a way as to make something new for them. By skipping that part, your audience gets lost. It's like stating a conclusion without having laid out the argument.

So I'm not saying you're totally failing here. Nor am I implying that you don't understand this stuff. I know you do. But I think if you want this intro to work, you have to let us in on the idea a little bit more.

Feel free to tear me a new one now. :D

Yes!!! Now we are talking. I agree with ou carey. When you talk about the audience, you are completly right. Sometimes i expect the audience to care as much as i do. And this is an issue Im learning to deal with and translate it to the screen.

Thanks a lot carey for your inputs on this Intro it really helped me to get anoher intelligent point of view.

Thanks buddy! Hope to see u soon!

Nice work and site update I've also been slowly changing my site to prosite I find it a lot easier to use than cargo.

I have the Nike+ project we worked on at buster if you needed the full project.

Nice work

Solid...and definitely "Epic as Fuck"-

Thanks man!!

Nice work and site update I've also been slowly changing my site to prosite I find it a lot easier to use than cargo.

I have the Nike+ project we worked on at buster if you needed the full project.

Nice work

Do you have the Nike+ project? How big is it?

Good to hear from you!

WOW.. great work in there, the experience you had and the work definitely stands out as top notch solid work. IMO the track is energetic, but a faster cut would only benefit you. I would say to ignore any repetition of work and cut down the length as you have enough killer work to open the right doors to any client and/or studio you need, but the mindset right now is short and sweet. Overall top notch killer work... congrats. Seems like you are passionate about what you do

Where are you working now and PM me for availability and rates as I would def like to add you to our roster