Sign in to follow this  
3dmworks

Daniel Marin - Reel 2011

Thanks Dave! I love Jerry Liu's work and felt inspired by the cleanliness and simplicity of it. The result is similar but not the same.

You're sort of missing the point: he called you on it with no prompting.

Consider that your audience watches a lot of the same stuff that you watch, and if Dave can nail you on it, so can others, including employers. The question for you is not whether you think you can slip that past some people undetected, but whether you want to be often noted as a knock-off artist by others. Your animation on the intro is really really nice, but the design is essentially someone else's. Presumably, if you can animate this that well, then you can do the same for something that's more your own. And you'd really do justice to your own skills by going that direction.

You're sort of missing the point: he called you on it with no prompting.

Consider that your audience watches a lot of the same stuff that you watch, and if Dave can nail you on it, so can others, including employers. The question for you is not whether you think you can slip that past some people undetected, but whether you want to be often noted as a knock-off artist by others. Your animation on the intro is really really nice, but the design is essentially someone else's. Presumably, if you can animate this that well, then you can do the same for something that's more your own. And you'd really do justice to your own skills by going that direction.

Thanks Binky, I guess it'll be smart to make it more my own. I'm going to work on something different and update it. Should I take this one down meanwhile? What'd you think?

some very nice work in there with out a doubt... my only suggestion would be to work on the edit a bit. There are some nice secondary beats and blips in the track and you could easily work on time remapping the clips in the edit so that its not only cutting on the beat, but the action within each clip is timed better to those beats in the music.... overall impressive work

some very nice work in there with out a doubt... my only suggestion would be to work on the edit a bit. There are some nice secondary beats and blips in the track and you could easily work on time remapping the clips in the edit so that its not only cutting on the beat, but the action within each clip is timed better to those beats in the music.... overall impressive work

Thanks edrhine! I'll keep that in mind for my next update.