Sign in to follow this  
Guest firemind

Out of town

Guest firemind

I'll be out of the country for the next week for business. So if I don't respond to threads/private msges, that's why :P

Guest firemind

OK, I'm back. Tired as hell after 7 hours of trainriding from germany to the netherlands, so I'm off to bed :P

Guest TrentDiggity

i wonder if europeans dream about coming to the US like we dream about going to europe, more than likly no, since they got all the good museums and what not.

Guest igorschmigor

well, difficult to say because all europeans have a different mentality from country to country. I think most people here would like to go to the US. But we're usually quite satisfied traveling a few hundred miles, because that's the great thing about europe: you don't have to travel far to end up in a totally different country, with a different language, different food and a different mentality. I love traveling to france. Never been to holland yet :( . I guess they don't have much to offer than good cheese, coffee shops and flowers but i just love the accent they have in Holland.

I've been to the US myself when i was 17, together with my parents. Chicago, California, Los Alamos, Las Vegas and a few other places. It was nice, but felt strange to travel around four weeks without seeing any real old architecture.

I remember a program i once saw on TV about american tourists in europe, that was fun. Some older women thought they were having a real adventure holiday because they had to sleep in rooms with no air conditioning! Oh my god!!! A young woman looked at an ancient sculpture of a naked man in some italian town and thaught that this was "sooo vulgar". I think they had a real culture shock. (yes, i know, not all americans are like that).

Guest jasfish

well, you have to realize, in a lot of places in the US, anything more than a hundred years old is ancient ;)

I'm always amazed at hearing american tourists who go overseas and then eat at McDonalds. Duh! Oh well, to each his own, I guess.

jasfish

Guest igorschmigor

well, europeans have been infested with the mcdonalds-virus too. You have plenty of MacDonalds in every city in every country. When you go to a different town or a different country with some friends the first question you hear is "Where is the next MacDonalds?".

btw.: i guess the french don't like going to america now that the french fries have been renamed to "freedom fries" :lol:

Guest jasfish

yeah, luckily that didn't take off here, only with a few stupid politicians. French Fries, Freedom Fries.

Reminds me of the old John Cusack movie "Better Off Dead". A french foreign exchange student is having dinner with his family and his mom decides to serve french food -- french fries, french toast, french dressing. Kind of funny.

jasfish

Guest igorschmigor

yes, that's funny. I didn't see that movie, is it worth watching? French and americans seem to have a strange relation anyway. Did you see "european vacation" with Chevy Chase? I love the scene where the Parisian waiter insults the americans with a grin on his face, pretending to say nice things in french. Don't get me wrong, i don't like that scene because americans are being insulted in it (i was born in america myself) but because of the way it was made.

Guest jasfish

yeah, that was a good movie. I think most americans wonder if we're being made fun of when other people speak a different language. I'm lucky my wife speaks Spanish .. at least she can let me know ;)

Better Off Dead; it was funny when I saw it, but that was a long time ago. Don't know if it holds up well. Some funny drag racing scenes with a Japanese guy imitating Howard Cosell over a loudspeaker he has on top of his car. 80's movie. Wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but probably worth watching if it's easily found.

Of course, what one person thinks is funny ...

Guest firemind

Even with the (by American standards) relatively short distance between urban Rotterdam (central .nl) and rural Ehingen (southern .de) there was enough difference for a mild cultureshock.

Colleagues calling eachother Mr.

Hot food at lunch, cold food for dinner.

Starting work at 07:30 (groaaaan).

Huge landscapes filled with hills and a hundred miles of nothing between villages.

Huge food portions at ridiculously low prices.

And a classic 1920's atmosphere.

Frankly I think the difference between urban places are a lot less different, walking around in london, berlin, rotterdam, etc. is pretty much the same.

Guest igorschmigor

http://www.zompist.com/phrases.html

When i found that website i had to think of this thread. The most important european phrases in french, spanish and german for americans who come to europe, like how to say:

I wish to complain.

It's better in the States.

How much is that in real money?

There's a corpse on the bed. Please change the sheets.

You're very pretty for a foreigner.