Sign in to follow this  
idani

Tron Legacy City Intro

hello, what do you think about this animation? The animation is not quite finished. It still lacks more details in the city and the end, I should still have time to work soon I think. But for the first one was for me the goal is half as good as the animaton to get riginal.

http://vimeo.com/29679676

Edited by idani

what do i think? i think if you have this much energy you should harness it into creating something new and original that you can call your own instead of replicating other peoples work. no offense. i'm sure this was a great learning experience but the bottom line is it will always be associated with tron, disney and david lewandowski; not you.

Edited by thekinginyellow

Your remake is certainly at least half as good as the original. And I think from here you have two choices:

1) You take what you've learned and you move on to a new project. You can then, as suggested, make something that will be your own, and put this aside as an exercise in technique.

-OR-

2) You push certain aspects of it to the point that it's as good as or better than the original. The value in mimicking something great is in learning what it is that actually makes it great, as opposed to mediocre. So, for example, you can take the first part with the lines and try some compositing to achieve the look that they had in the film. Get the flicker, the glow, the color, the grain and the inconsistency of the light, the highlighting of the grid background, the flaring at the tips of the lines, the subtle introduction of atmosphere, etc.... Look at the relative speed of things, the way the painted lines on the street are introduced first and the buildings only become opaque later. Look at the detailing on the logotype, the compositing, the lighting effects, how well that logo sits against its background, and how the lights on the buildings are subtly absent so that the logo's reflection is bolder.

Once you feel like you understand how those things work, and why they are the way they are, then you can go beyond them, and make it even better. This way, the whole thing becomes valuable as more than just an exercise in how to draw on lines and build a city. It becomes an exercise in understanding design decisions and then improving on them.