Sign in to follow this  
Shpigford

Create a paint brush/stroke?

I'm wanting to create a realistic paint stroke in After Effects. Something like this image:

20111018-th5nxtxqsb7dhhha6pbbtc195b.jpg

I don't want to just do a mask over an existing image that just reveals the stroke, but instead want something that looks as if you're actually painting on, where the front of the stroke is heavier and the tail trails off.

I've played around using Trapcode Particular but haven't gotten any good results.

Here's what I did.

1. Open Screen Flow (or any screen capture software that lets you toggle the mouse cursor)

2. Open Photoshops

3. Get a Photoshops brush of your choosing.

4. Start your screen recording.

5. Paint. Black on White or vice versa if you want to use your strokes as a mask.

6. Export your recorded strokes from Screen Flow. (Oops: make sure to check the option to hide the cursor first)

7. CRITICAL: Find image of ScarJo.

8. Import Brush Stroke recording and ScarJo image into After Effects.

9. Composite.

Obviously time of the strokes is paramount. Slower strokes will give you more leeway for time remapping. I didn't time my strokes.

View the result.

Edited by Fred Camino

Here's what I did.

1. Open Screen Flow (or any screen capture software that lets you toggle the mouse cursor)

2. Open Photoshops

5. Paint. Black on White or vice versa if you want to use your strokes as a mask.

6. Export your recorded strokes from Screen Flow. (Oops: make sure to check the option to hide the cursor first)

9. Composite.

Obviously time of the strokes is paramount. Slower strokes will give you more leeway for time remapping. I didn't time my strokes.

View the result.

This would be a last-resort option, I'd say.

Primarily because it's completely inflexible (minus time remapping).

I'd really love to be able to edit the stroke path directly.

You could:

1. Use deformations to control the pre-recorded stroke.

2. Give up.

(let me know if you find a way, always looking for ways to do brush effects in AE)

Edited by Fred Camino

Here's what I did.

2. Open Photoshops

9. Composite.

View the result.

You sir have inspired me ... I thank you :)

This would be a last-resort option, I'd say.

Primarily because it's completely inflexible (minus time remapping).

I'd really love to be able to edit the stroke path directly.

Yeah, the native paint tools in AE are tragically shit. They've been due for an update for a long long time if you ask me.

I've looked around for alternatives in the past, but I came back to the technique that ted suggested, though I used painter not PS.

Another quick and dirty way of doing it is have 2 brush strokes in the shape that you're after. One is what it will look like as a final resolution, a second one that's more thin. Mask the 2 out at offset speeds with some feathering, and you get a bit more of a realistic effect than masking alone. You could try using an animated choke to make it bleed a bit as well.