Sign in to follow this  
secretninja

Camera Moves in AE

It's been a question I've had for a few months. When setting up a camera move in AE with text animation or graphic animation, what is the best way to start the comp?

1. Block out a camera move first, then add text/graphic animation?

2. Block out text/graphic animation first, then add a camera move then then adjust the text/graphic animation to compensate for the camera move if needed?

I'm kinda a beginner at the camera and want to streamline my work process. Hopefully this is worded OK. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kind of a broad question there. It really depends on what your animation goals are. You might want to be more specific - site examples, for instance, if you can. It'll help us answer your question better.

R

I'm working on a personal type project. 1st, I've laid out my animated text in the 3D space, in a way that I liked, added a floor plane and a background plane. Then 2nd when I add a camera move I have to readjust all my text animation to account for the camera move. Mainly I had to re-adjust the position of the text.

What I wanted to know is there a better way to start the project so that I'm not readjusting my position of text and wasting time readjusting the position of the text. I'm not sure this is a normal thing to do. We were really not taught how to do camera moves in AE at school. So I've just fumbled around with it. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Thanks.

One thing that's helpful is to try parenting all your layers in 3D space to a 3D null object, it makes it a lot easier to tweak things. It all depends on the exact project but one way I often approach 2.5D scenes is to layout all my elements in zspace parent to a null and then animate the null rather than the camera.

I'm a medium proponent of animating the comps position and not the camera. Animating cams quickly turns into a game of whack-a-mole with fidgeting layers to accomodate some ridiculous camera move.

@ anothername, I'll have to try parenting all the 3D layers to the 3d null object. Yea, I parent a null to the camera and then animate the null object instead of the camera. It works so much easier than animating the camera.

@ anothername, I'll have to try parenting all the 3D layers to the 3d null object. Yea, I parent a null to the camera and then animate the null object instead of the camera. It works so much easier than animating the camera.

Im pretty sure you mean parent the camera to the null.. Just to add 1 more level of control over this.. once you have a null / camera combo set-up do a search in Effect & Presets for a Separate xyz Position Add it to the null.. This will create expression controllers that will allow you to keyframe each one of those parameters individually.

On a final note. Im not sure what Look or animation youre trying to create.. but for me an invaluable tool for animating cameras in AE has been VideoCoPilot.net SureTarget 2.0 the range of movement and fluidity this allows. Im sure there are those out there that will poo-poo it. but quite honestly it opened up many possibilities for animating cameras for me in AE. What i'll typically do is created precomps with my subtle movement.. then using SureTarget on Nulls.. Parent the Precomps to the nulls and you got some very complex animations occurring with minimal effort.

Edited by rovino