Sign in to follow this  
JackWest

Can someone explain why lawebdeCANADA is "good"

http://vimeo.com/lawebdecanada

I'm trying to keep an open mind here but so far its just been a bunch of hipster shit for 2 years now.

Throw a bunch of random stuff in front of the camera with a few arbitrarily naked girls, and BAM! "AMAZING FUCKING VIDEO!!"

I don't get it.

Ok the best I can do: 1/3 Bunuel inspired surrealism + 1/3 70's Inspired cinematography + 1/3 American Apparel ad hipster imagery = Music Video

I don't really get it either. I think what I find so frustrating about these videos is there so much skill in the execution (which you gotta respect) but then such a lack of substance.

That's the best I can do for art criticism this early in the morning, Now please explain Voice of Fire....

Voice_of_Fire_photo.jpg

It's sexy, young and fun.

Emotional not cerebral.

It fits the poppiness of the music perfectly.

When you craft something with that much style, it's still enjoyable even without the substance.

While I do agree with you to some point Canada also has quite a few nuggets that are genuinely great.

I dont care for the song much but the video they did for Scissor Sisters is terrific.

The cinematography, edition, pacing lighting, you name it it is all spot on in my opinion

Their work is not really my style but I feel it fits their target audience perfectly.

I feel like this work fits in the the same category as a lot contemporary photography. For awhile there as technology continued to sky rocket a vast majority of photographers work was pristine crisp technically perfect photographs. But after the awe of the technology plateaued many people wanted to get back to the basics and ditched the expensive 1D's and started shooting more with old film rangefinders and what not. The work became less about technical perfection just because it can be achieved and more about the look and feel of the imagery and the fact that it wasn't perfect. I'm by no means saying this method is superior this is just something I have observed with many of my friends who work as professional photographers.