Sign in to follow this  
dan_hin

planning a multiscreen project

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a title sequence that will be displayed over 3 separate screens. The main strand of the title sequence will be on the middle screen, with secondary graphics and video on screens either side.

I'm finding it really tough to storyboard and plan out - has anyone else had any experience with this sort of project? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Dan

Hey Dan. One thing I found that has helped me is to create a mock up of the screens in a space similar to how the final project will be presented (in Photoshop or whatever software). And then lay my boards out within that mockup, then as I have test renders etc, I put those into the mockup and render that out to try and get a sense of how everything is working together.

I agree anytime I've done something multiscreen I'll make a bkgd comp (in photoshop) to the dimensions that separate the screens perfectly ... Once you get that setup down, make a few test renders to lock down your comps and make sure they fit perfectly. If your building the thing in AE depending how how you build it you can use master comp to join all 3 screens together

The main obstacle is getting your comp to perfectly match what your projecting on ... once you get that its business as usual

Cheers

~Florio

Whenever I do these, I find it helps to not think of it in terms of separate screens. (that is providing the final videowall, or projection is meant to look seamless).

If it's four screens wide, build a comp to the combined dimensions and chop up the final render in AE into it's necessary single-screen deliverables. Of course, using an overlay during composition to make sure important elements like text aren't landing in a bad way across screen breaks is a good idea.

-mike