Sign in to follow this  
FlipSwitch

So long FCP

Guest Sao_Bento

If that's what the market you work in demands, go for it. Generally speaking, I don't care much for FCP X myself, but it's no reason to punish yourself unnecessarily.

There's never been a better time for Adobe to push Premiere. With Final Cut out of the picture, it's gone from the laughing stock to the sweet spot. I'm scared it's just going to get steamrolled by the people who decide to jump from FCP to Avid without even considering the alternatives.

Though I'm curious to see the new Avid in action. Maybe it'll change my mind, but doing anything in Avid tends to suck the joy from my soul.

Though I'm curious to see the new Avid in action. Maybe it'll change my mind, but doing anything in Avid tends to suck the joy from my soul.

Amen! It's the Quark Xpress of video.

Stuck on Mediacomposer 3.13 @ work due to Avid not guaranteeing their Interplay network thingy will work with newer versions. It's like having to edit with one arm tied behind your back. So cumbersome and crude. Can't even import a clip with sound and an alpha channel at once, you have to choose one or the other then marry them back up URGH. So mostly I just export video from our Avid network into my Premiere Pro station. Takes a little extra time, but less stress.

Maybe it'll change my mind, but doing anything in Avid tends to suck the joy from my soul.

But it's dark grey now! That makes all the difference! But on a serious tip, the fact that they are allowing 3rd party cards and Pro Res I/O is the major factor here I think. I've always had a free copy of MC that came with owning a DS. But I only ever used it for 2 minutes at a time to convert things the DS couldn't. But I never bought hardware for it cuz you always had to have their adrenaline box or whatever for 7k. So running MC on the same BM or AJA card you already probably have in your comp anyways is a big dill me thinks. Also ARRI announced the Alexa will have the option to write to DNxHD soon instead of QT. But looks like with MC6 you could use either out of the gate.

does anyone here edit in NY?... I was so stoked seeing production houses and certain channels switch to FCP..because I have been working in it since 99?. but now that this happened I am already hearing about certain houses switching back to AVID and a few big tv clients of mine said the same thing... believe me I don't want to learn another program from the ground up or learn it more in depth because I have only assisted in AVID... but when it comes down to it, AVID is the only broadcast player out there now... noway in hell is any station going to switch to premier instead of Avid... most TV editors are Avid ... Apple dropped the ball... and it's ludicrous to be so narrow minded to shun Avid for no reason that is just plain childish.. I am talking about the professional field and continue to work in Ny as a mographer first but editor second... it's just another tool to have in my arsenal and believe me there are more gigs out there for AVID editors and we'll start to see more... as for home use i'll stay with FCP hell I'll even keep FCP X on my system, you know so my girl can use to edit home movies....

Are there any rumors of apple going back to the FCP?... Like abandoning this whole FC X/imovie thing? I just don't understand why they would do this, does it make sense to anyone? They really turned the tide here in NY. I remember when noone was asking for FCP editors than it just blew up and everyone was saying Avid is done. But than they go and make FCX now Avid has MC6. Whoever is the big dog I will follow suit just because there will be more gigs, simple is that.

Are there any rumors of apple going back to the FCP?... Like abandoning this whole FC X/imovie thing? I just don't understand why they would do this, does it make sense to anyone?

No, there aren't any rumours. It looks like X is here to stay.

And, sadly, it makes perfect sense why they would do this: the audience for a souped-up iMovie is larger than the audience for FCP. They're just following the money, and the money isn't in the professional sector.

No, there aren't any rumours. It looks like X is here to stay. And, sadly, it makes perfect sense why they would do this: the audience for a souped-up iMovie is larger than the audience for FCP. They're just following the money, and the money isn't in the professional sector.

that gets me so mad!... I would've loved to be in that meeting... they should've made a suped up imovie(FCX) and continue with FCP... that way they are covering both markets... IDIOTS!

does anyone here edit in NY?... I was so stoked seeing production houses and certain channels switch to FCP..because I have been working in it since 99?. but now that this happened I am already hearing about certain houses switching back to AVID and a few big tv clients of mine said the same thing... believe me I don't want to learn another program from the ground up or learn it more in depth because I have only assisted in AVID... but when it comes down to it, AVID is the only broadcast player out there now... noway in hell is any station going to switch to premier instead of Avid... most TV editors are Avid ... Apple dropped the ball... and it's ludicrous to be so narrow minded to shun Avid for no reason that is just plain childish.. I am talking about the professional field and continue to work in Ny as a mographer first but editor second... it's just another tool to have in my arsenal and believe me there are more gigs out there for AVID editors and we'll start to see more... as for home use i'll stay with FCP hell I'll even keep FCP X on my system, you know so my girl can use to edit home movies....

Are there any rumors of apple going back to the FCP?... Like abandoning this whole FC X/imovie thing? I just don't understand why they would do this, does it make sense to anyone? They really turned the tide here in NY. I remember when noone was asking for FCP editors than it just blew up and everyone was saying Avid is done. But than they go and make FCX now Avid has MC6. Whoever is the big dog I will follow suit just because there will be more gigs, simple is that.

I have only ever seen post houses use Avid for broadcast spots. If they had FCP it was for the assistant to cut web videos. In the almost 2 years I've switched from film to shooting digital, 99% of requests for dailies be converted to Avid MXF. Only one agency asked for Pro Res for cutting in FCP. But they weren't using a post house, they were trying to cut it in-house. At our office, it's always been Avid. We have FCP, but I use it for cutting home movies or something quick you don't want to create an AVID project for. I'm actually quite happy about FCP-X. I've said this in several other threads. But FCP has always been a joke of a product. It has no redeeming qualities other than the ability to simply cut a piece together. And it wasn't very good at that since it was slow and sluggish running in Carbon code on one processor. The rest of FCP was unusable. It's Color Corrector made things look worse than better, it had almost no matting capabilities, keyframing was a joke. So at least FCP-X does the one thing FCP was usable for: a cut to generate an EDL/XML and does it in 64 bit using all procs. And like Avid now works on one codec (pro res) and adapts everything to that for consistency. I finally like FCP-X. Apple's ONE mistake with FCP-X was to act like it was ready to use when it came out. I would call it still in Beta myself, they just need to be clear about that. When it grows up some it will be a great editor and by far the best one they will have ever made (the usable parts anyways).

As said above it all boils down to what is in your market. If there are jobs for Avid learn Avid, if there are jobs for FCP use FCP. Even though Apple dropped the ball with FCPX I know a great deal of people who are still planning on going down with the ship with FCP until they literally have to switch. For me personally, I have always been intrigued by Avid but never had a need to use it. I feel for most FCP users that are intimidated by Avid and want to avoid the stress switching to Premiere is the most logical option. I will admit it isn't the most seamless transition but in the grand scheme of things isn't too bad.

I think if I was a serious editor, I would get to grips with FCP, Premiere and Avid. I regularly switch between C4D, AE, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, etc. Surely using three essentially similar editing software packages can't be that difficult - Premiere even lets you import keyboard shortcuts.

If you are an occasional editor, the advantages of Premiere, with copy and past timelines and embedded projects in AE, and FCP xml import, make it a no brainer for me