Sign in to follow this  
mikeh64

Adobe - no upgrade prices for non-current users soon?

It seems that Adobe is planning on kicking longtime users in the teeth once CS6 is released - if you don't own CS5.5, you won't get any upgrade pricing options....nice

From the MacMall page about the current 20% off sale (MacMall rep said this was Adobe's policy, not theirs):

"Protect your investment

Whether you’re using CS2, CS3 or CS4, you can take advantage of upgrade pricing for CS5.5 right now to get the latest software capabilities and performance. But don’t wait too long. With future versions of Adobe Creative Suite software you’ll only receive upgrade pricing if you’re on the latest version."

(http://www.macmall.com/n/Adobe-CS5-5-Promo/macCustomPages-4306)

Does anyone have any further knowledge of this?

Just a follow-up - It is in fact true that only current version users will get upgrade pricing on CS6, but CS5 will count as a current version (you won't need to be all the way to CS5.5)

This from an Adobe.com blog...

"With regards to upgrades, we are changing our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions)"

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/adobe-creative-cloud-and-adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html?PID=2159997

Well that sucks... I've been getting by pretty nicely skipping alternate versions - i.e. CS1 - 3 - 5. So if I skip v6 then when v7 comes around, I'll have no upgrade options. Hmmm. Mind you, I've been lumbering along with the master collection for too long now barely even opening half the apps included, maybe this is a good opportunity to drop down a level and save a few in the long term...

Well, I just got an email the other day from Adobe stating their subscription prices are going down by more than 50%. I think the subscription model is what they really want.

Not a bad deal if you ask me. Starting in January its $50 / month for a year subscription or $70 / month for a month-to-month. Its very reasonable, and always up to date.

Pasted email below:

Price reduction of your Creative Suite Subscription plan

Dear Adobe® Creative Suite® 5.5 subscriber:

We are excited to share great news about changes to the price of your Adobe Creative Suite Subscription Edition plan. We will be decreasing the monthly cost of your Creative Suite subscription effective on your first billing date after January 12, 2012.

This price decrease will apply to the following products: Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium, Creative Suite Design Standard, Creative Suite Web Premium, Creative Suite Production Premium, and Creative Suite Master Collection.

If you are subscribed to a one-year plan, your billing price will drop to US$49.99 per month. If you are subscribed to a month-to-month plan, your price will drop to US$74.99 per month.

The price decrease will automatically appear on your credit card statement starting with your first billing period after January 12, 2012. There is no action required on your part.

We are lowering the price of your Creative Suite subscription so that it is consistent with overall pricing and product changes that we are making to the Creative Suite Subscription Edition offering in January 2012.

You will receive another communication from Adobe in January to remind you that this price change has gone into effect and to share other exciting enhancements being made to the Creative Suite Subscription Edition offering.

We hope you enjoy this price reduction and thank you for choosing and subscribing to Adobe Creative Suite products.

The Adobe team

Edited by AromaKat