Sign in to follow this  
joedonaldson

Bouldering

I wanted to see if any fellow mographers have every tried or gotten into Bouldering? I recently got into it and have been amazed at how terrific it is of both a mental and physical workout. It does wonders for your upper body and core and is based entirely around problem solving and can be very tricky.

I love climbing & bouldering. It is indeed the most intense physical workout I think you can get. I think the desire to conquer some bouldering problem really pushes you to your limit physically. With weightlifting or any other exercise, it's easy to back down if you're starting to feel exhausted, but for some reason climbing really makes you want to "beat" whatever route you're on. There are some great spots within a couple hours of Atlanta. Where do you go around Chicago, or have you been going to indoor gyms? I haven't done it much in the last year (I was training for the Chicago Marathon) but I'm going to get back into it soon.

Absolutely!

I can't go past a bunch of rocks without wanting to stop and climb/clamber until I'm exhausted.

Sadly, since my wife hurt her knee climbing, she can't join me, so when we're together I tend to just stare wistfully out the window as we go by bunches of rocks that really need to be climbed.

Glad to see there are others on this forum that are into Bouldering as well!

@Beaver: Unfortunately up here in Chicago there isn't much around for Bouldering. Only one indoor gym in the city. I climb there about twice a week but it is tough because it goes from super easy to super hard, there isn't much middle ground. I have been riding bmx for the past 12 years and as I have gotten older the risk and injury involved has gotten to be something to consider more. I originally got into Bouldering as something to do during the winter when I cant ride and have been amazed at how many parallels there are between the two activities. I love the act of solving problems and the feeling you get when you final send a route you have been stuck on.

Your lucky to be down south I have heard the climbing scene down there both with gyms and in nature is amazing. I have yet to do any outdoor climbing. Hopefully soon though.

@Todd: Its funny that you say that and how the activities we do change our perspective on life. As stated above, I have been riding bmx for quite awhile and I cant walk past a stair case or transition on a wall without thinking about riding it or what could be done on it and the same goes for climbing now. I'll walk past a tree or building and think " I could total send that" haha it dorky but funny none the less.

Well at least you have a real downtown in Chicago. :) Outdoors feels about the same as you described, goes from easy to super hard. If you're traveling and you know you're going to be near a good spot, there is usually enough stuff that doesn't require ropes to give you all the climbing you can handle. All you need is shoes and chalk. I like doing longer routes sometimes, but it can be a pain to lug all the gear and set up anchors every time you want to climb. Also, if you think there might be some good climbing nearby, but you're not sure where to go, a trip to the local REI and a chat with whoever is working the climbing area can usually garner a few tips. The ones here are always staffed with active climbers anyway.

Yeah I definitely cant complain about Chicago when it comes to the city. It might not have much to offer when it comes to climbing but it does have a lot to offer when it comes to the other aspects of life and work. I would love to do some outdoor rope climbing but the main attraction for me with bouldering is how low maintenance it is. All you need are the shoes and some chalk. Its great how simple it is. The aspect of long endurance bases top rope routes seems fun but I love the power involved with bouldering. You might only have 4 moves in a route but they are some damn hard moves.

Edited by joedonaldson

yeah, used to rock climb in sydney, new york was kind of expensive, and i wasn't working so was conserving cash for alcohol. Got to find a place here in budapest, but it seems unlikely.

damn i want to rock climb.

used to do parkour too. then fucked up my wrists, so can't land on my hands anymore...

My younger cousins in Jersey got really into bouldering and transformed from these little chubby guys to the most shredded dudes I know. They're addicted to the sport now, it's all they think and talk about.

Now that I live near them they're trying to get me out to a gym called Brooklyn Boulders that's supposed to be pretty excellent.

I confess I'm not instantly attracted to the sport, but it seems that most who try it fall in love.

I definitely recommend you giving it a shot. It is about 50/50, people either love it or cant get into it at all. I personally thought it was kind of lame at first. I have been riding bmx for the past 12 years and thought climbing stuff sounded kind of dorky but I was definitely wrong. I stay in pretty good shape and am very active but the first time I went I was definitely the fattest dude in the room ha. It does wonders for your body.