Sign in to follow this  
bezoing

Wheat Field

Hey guys!

Been awhile since i've been on the boards, but I have another problem that's stumping me. I've always gotten good answers before, and would love some help.

I'm trying to create a field of wheat, with a simple crane camera move. I'm using C4D's Hair engine, hoping to get some good slow wind movement. There's a few issues I'm having...

I'm not sure how to create the stalks of wheat. Ideally, it'd all be a hair/feather (possibly both?) material so there would not be too many polygons in the field. Otherwise, I'd just model one stalk and use Mograph to clone it, but then I'd lose the soft wind dynamics you get with the Hair engine... Is there a way to have tall stalks of wheat using Hair, and attach a Feather object on the tip to look like the grain? That'd be great... Just not sure how to do that.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get grass/wheat dynamics to look natural? All my attempts have the stalks all appearing entirely too stiff, or way too loose and flopping all over the place. How do you have that natural, loose yet firm look to the hair so it isn't bouncing around? What parameters to you mess with? I've been messing with the Rest mix/Rest hold values, but can't find anything I like. This is my first foray into Hair, so maybe I'm just not sure what to look for...

Any words of advice would be amazing. I'm sure this isn't that uncommon of a request, but I cant find that much online on it... Again, any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Did something similar a while back to make plants. I think I used sweep nurbs to make the stalks and used spline dynamics for the movement. For the tops of the planets used an align to spline tag.

It was a lot of playing around with both the wind settings and spline dynamics properties to get it to look right. It was really tricky to get it not to be too stiff or too floppy, if I remember made the stalks fairly stiff and jacked up the wind (I think we keyframed the wind quite a bit, had wind on either side so once the stalks had gone far enough in one direction we blew them back into position with the second wind), found looking at reference video was really helpful to get this as well.

My plants were heavily stylized though so I really needed to just get realistic movement in the stalks, if you need to get the grain to have very realistic motion maybe you are better off with a hair/feather solution.

Curious to hear how you finally solve it.

Model the wheat and then use the cloning feature with Hair to clone the geometry across the surface, this way you will still be able to use all the hair dynamics features on the geometry. If you want to use the hair renderer, then you can access the points on hair with Xpresso then use those positions to link objects or thinking particles. Then clone onto the particles.

Alternatively use Cloner and then use something like displacer to add fake wind etc, will probably be just as convincing... maybe?

cheers

Tim