Sign in to follow this  
nusferatu

jobs agencies

Hi nusferatu

A great post with some good advice was posted yesterday at fuelyourmotionography - you can read it here: http://www.fuelyourmotionography.com/how-do-you-get-freelance-work/

The article basically says what you don't really want to hear, there is no easy option and it's down to hard work and professionalism. There is some good advice here on where to start and the kind of things you should be doing so give it a read. It's obvious to me that everybody starts off slowly and the best way to gain clients is by networking, being very reliable and being the kind of person people want to work with again!

hope this helps

yup, whatJonny said.

but the main reason agencies are pretty much obsolete in this industry, is that most people here know how to use the internet, so they can find whoever they need themselves. And also since there are no resume's an agency can't really vet applicants in any useful way. Because to do that they'd have to have a very skilled artist with a variety of skills, and those people generally have actual jobs where they get to do stuff instead of veting candidates.

first order of business put a link to your website/reel into your signature on every forum you are on.

btw great article mike =)

Edited by vozzz

Beware Creative Circle. They take half of everything that you earn from client.

Which is why they typically pay 1/2 the going rate of any job they get you.

Not an exaggeration.

I know someone that took a contracted job through Creative Circle and when the company wanted to hire the person full time, it was a struggle to get out from under Creative Circle. As an agency, it seems they take more than what is the norm for other industries.

there is no easy option and it's down to hard work and professionalism. The best way to gain clients is by networking, being very reliable and being the kind of person people want to work with again

Networking is key and word of mouth seems to be the best way to get recognition. It's tough for a lot of people right now, whether or not they have the right type of contacts.

Face time is huge. I've been building my studio for about a year and nothing works better than talking with a potential client face to face. Emails and other related communication got nothing on the good 'ol fashion hand shake.

Face time is huge. I've been building my studio for about a year and nothing works better than talking with a potential client face to face. Emails and other related communication got nothing on the good 'ol fashion hand shake.

Better make sure that handshake is solid! Cant go fumbling around with first impressions.

yes creative circle does take a big chunk of the money but that lack of pay may be worthwhile. in my experience, they have helped me get my foot inside the door of agencies i wouldn't have had any way of knowing otherwise (including the full-time position i have now). lots of those jobs were longer term than many of my self-found freelance gigs, so the lower rate probably netted out even, with less stress on my end. on those jobs, i was guaranteed a weekly paycheck, rather than having to deal with 30 or 45-day billing. earned overtime pay for anything over 40 hours/week, and became eligible for health benefits if i met their hours quota.

not saying its right for everybody, and it certainly wasn't my ONLY strategy for finding work while i was freelance, but i dont think they're as bad as people make it sound either. just gotta decide what works for you.