Sign in to follow this  
a2visual

First Time in NYC, suggestions?

I'm finally making my way to NYC for the first time so I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for things to do/see. Not really interested in touristy stuff, would rather just take it all in and check out things off the beaten path. Good drinks, food (don't eat meat though), cool shops, art stuff, house stuff, etc. Down here in the South all we have is big box retailers and not much in the way of independent, unique goods. My wife and I will be staying in the Kips Bay area on 27th and will be there from Friday to Tuesday.

Thanks

def hit up st marks street in the village you'll find a bunch of flyers for local bands/parties + cool diggs and there are a ton of awesome galleries in chelsea, meat packing district has some of the hippest best restaurants IMO, Moma is always a good time, and there is carolines comedy club in times square area which is packed with tourists obviously and u can grab a comedy central stand-up around there for free; viacoms right there, or u can always hit up Upright Citizens Brigade that comedy cult LOL on 23 between 6 & 7, thats just off the top of my head everywhere but times square u won't really be doing the touristy thing... oh also cheslea piers is great as well...

So you're missing the meet up on wednesday eh? Bummer. Nobody really refers to kips bay for much. That part of manhattan is rather unremarkable. You're coming to town during a really busy time of year. Explore manhattan below 14th street for shopping/food/etc just beware of crowds (avoid soho, rockefeller plaza, times square, tribeca, ground zero if you want to maintain your sanity).

You should really just be staying in brooklyn.. ;)

I'm finally making my way to NYC for the first time so I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions for things to do/see. Not really interested in touristy stuff, would rather just take it all in and check out things off the beaten path. Good drinks, food (don't eat meat though), cool shops, art stuff, house stuff, etc. Down here in the South all we have is big box retailers and not much in the way of independent, unique goods. My wife and I will be staying in the Kips Bay area on 27th and will be there from Friday to Tuesday.

Thanks