Sign in to follow this  
Crasto

Lighting Advice

You can do it with GI or test with a light dome (look for it at helloluxx- build it with mograph). Basically they used simple materials with no reflection and a really really soft spec highlight or no specular. Try with that and post the results...

After a few days of playing I think I am getting somewhere, what you think?

Achieved by using No Specular, a Sky and an Environment.

tumblr_lw57lddsGI1qhhembo1_500.png

I have a night scene in this piece, whats the best way to produce Moonlight, which would produce a Rim behind Trees?

After a few days of playing I think I am getting somewhere, what you think?

Achieved by using No Specular, a Sky and an Environment.

tumblr_lw57lddsGI1qhhembo1_500.png

I have a night scene in this piece, whats the best way to produce Moonlight, which would produce a Rim behind Trees?

Do you have GI on? ALso it looks like your atmosphhere is too high in your SKY object. For great and cheap rimlight, Instead of a flat color in the color channel, use a fresnel shader. That will automatically make a rimlight effect without needing to actually backlight.

You also may want to force your shadow more purple instead of black/grey.

Edited by C.Smith

Looking closely at the render I can tell you they used SSS on the trees. It's quite obvious. Just add a slight purple luma SSS. For a clay like feel you don't need your settings very high to accomplish this. Also try adding a 5-10% luma that matches your color channel to give the washed out look if you are not using SSS on the shader. (SSS is generally applied to the luma channel)

The master C. Smith is right ... make your shadows purple or blue, not black. Black shadows suck in 3d MG.

Also, use a parallel light, not a spot light, so your shadows are even Steven!

Hope that helps.